Can SyncToy 2.0 do incremental file sync? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just test SyncToy 2.0 and it works fine.
    By considering it is based on Microsoft Sync Framwork, I was expecting to have an option for incremental file sync.

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi -

We do an incremental sync at the file level - which means we will not sync all files each time but if we do detect a change in a file - we will sync the complete file.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:22 AM
  • Hi Deepa,

yes , I saw that in the ST summary of sync´ed files.
    Is there any plans to incremental sync at file level? I mean, sync only what was changed in a file and not the complete file.

I also would like to suggest to have a sync progress bar when we use command line. So will be able to execute ST from another App and show to User a graphic progress bar. It would be usefull.

Tranks
    Pablo.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:11 PM

All replies

• Do you mean for a single (large) file you were hoping it could sync part of it and resume from where it left off if the sync were interrupted in the middle of syncing that large file?

sid
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi Sid,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a large file on a local drive (c:\) and it has another replica on NAS (z:\). If I will access this file on local and include a small change (a new line for example). I was expecting Sync Toy could sync only this new line and not the full file to NAS.

I have read about MS Sync Framework and it seems to include some feature to incremental sync by using metadata file.

That is what I looking for on ST. It could be optional on per file basis for example.

What do you think?

Thanks

Pablo.

Friday, July 10, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Hi -

We do an incremental sync at the file level - which means we will not sync all files each time but if we do detect a change in a file - we will sync the complete file.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:22 AM
  • Hi Deepa,

yes , I saw that in the ST summary of sync´ed files.
    Is there any plans to incremental sync at file level? I mean, sync only what was changed in a file and not the complete file.

I also would like to suggest to have a sync progress bar when we use command line. So will be able to execute ST from another App and show to User a graphic progress bar. It would be usefull.

Tranks
    Pablo.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Yes, surely you can see the value of synchronizing only the 1000 bytes of a 5 GB file?  Thanks!
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:05 PM