Not registering payment for Windows Live one care RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving an 8179 error when I input the credit card information for purchasing windows live one care. I have been continuing to get the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Megan
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:38 PM

Answers

• Kurt92081, please contact support for help with this. I suspect that being out of the country may be a factor in your case.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Use the email support option and explain the details of your problem. If you are located in a country where OneCare is sold and supported, ask support for a local phone number for support.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:44 PM

All replies

• I am in a similar situation - my errorcode is 8003 with the message:

"We can't authorize the payment method. Please make sure the information is correct, or use another payment method. If you continue to get this message, please contact your financial institution."

Which isn't accurate as I've used the card simultaneously for other transactions on other sites - including the purchase of Microsoft Office.

I've tried going through the Help system, but I cannot seem to select the 'trial/beta user' option, the screen simply resets and tells me I'm not a subscriber - which is particularly frustrating when I know this and I'm trying to subscribe.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Hopefully, the forum issues are behind us for today...

I am not familiar with either of the errors you are both reporting - 8179 and 8003.

For the first error, 8179, when you enter the payment information and address and then submit, does the error return immediately and clear all fields? Do any of the input fields have punctuation in your information - such as dashes, commas, apostrophes, and the like? If so, try submitting the information again with no puncutation.

For the 8003 error, since it seems to mean that there is a problem with authorization, I wonder what type of card it is. Is it a debit card or a credit card?

If you follow the support path from the FAQ, choose the option as a trial user to open an email support case:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 6:44 PM
  • I have tried to pay for a subscription for Windows Live Care.  My trial subscription will run out in a few days.  The site is not accepting my debit card, nor the 2 other credit cards I have tried to use. I have wasted a lot of time just trying to pay for a product!!! ( They are good cards, including my debit/visa card, yet the page continues to reject a payment.  Please check out the site.)  I cannot believe Microsoft would have a defunct web site?  Please help!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:19 AM
  • I use a Visa debit card and have only once had a comparable problem with it in several years using it online.  See below regarding it's validity as confirmed by my financial instition.

As for the 'trial user' option, that's the frustrating part - I cannot seem to make the support system recognise me as a trial user.  When I click on the trial user option (or any other option for that matter) before I can click on 'continue' the screen goes straight back into  'cannot verify your subscription' mode and asks me to log-in with my Windows Live ID again to verify my subscription.  When I do that I'm right back where I started.

I've also just had a call today from my financial institution - Microsoft has sent authorisation requests to them each time I tried to subscribe to Onecare, and they authorised the transactions - but somehow that authorisation is not being recognised or accepted at Microsoft's end.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:10 AM
  • workerproblem, I'm going to merge your thread into the other thread about Billing and authorizations and will be contacting the OneCare team to ask for this to be looked into. Can you provide any further information on your experience? Are you receiving an error? If so, what is the error?

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information, Skorpios. I will push to have this looked into since there's been a second thread started (which I'll be merging into this one shortly).

If you wish to also pursue this with support, please send me an email - sboots@mvps.org -  with a subject line including "OneCare - Billing" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3303086&SiteID=2 to this thread. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:03 PM
  • Here  is the message I continually see, regardless of what credit card I use, or even with my debit card: 

"We can't authorize the payment method. Please make sure the information is correct, or use another payment method. If you continue to get this message, please contact your financial institution."

I am also (compounding my problems) constantly getting a Windows Live Runtime error when I try to get on the forum.  Eventually, after many times, I am able to get to the page, then after more runtime errors, I finally was able to get to this message site.  It is getting so frustrating, I am about ready to yank out Windows Live....although I have really appreciated the product. I have never....repeat.....never, had as much trouble trying to pay for something as I have had with this subscription.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information, workerproblem. You are referring to "Windows Live Runtime" errors, but I believe you were encountering the serious server problems that were affecting the forum yesterday. You should not bee seeing these today. The error had *nothing* to do with OneCare on your PC - assuming that it was this one:

Server Error in '/WindowsOneCare' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server.

That was a problem with the forum software affecting all of the Microsoft communities hosted on the environment.

Back to your problem, I have escalated the issue for review since both you are Skorpio have reported the exact same error when trying to authorize payment using a valid credit or debit card. I don't know why you are getting this, especially if, like Skorpio, your bank is authorizing the payment and the Microsoft Billing system is not following through to actually charge the purchase after authorization.

I assume that both you and Skorpio are trying to purchase a new subscription.

If you also can email me per the instructions I gave to Skorpio above, that would be much appreciated.

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:43 PM
  •  Megan Lewand wrote:

I am receiving an 8179 error when I input the credit card information for purchasing windows live one care. I have been continuing to get the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Megan

Megan, we've hijacked your topic with the Billing authorization problem. I have been told that the 8179 error is usually a transient server error and should be temporary. If you could please try to submit your payment information again today and let us know the results, that would be much appreciated.

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:56 PM
  • This also happened to me about 2.5 months ago when I first got the trial version and decided to get the full subscription then.  Same error code and message, i figured it was some glitch and decided i would use the trial version longer and try again at a later date.  Well now is the later date, and I am getting the same error code--8003, and same message.  I have tried multiple different cards and get the same thing. I am currently out of the country working, maybe that has something to do with it.  I called my credit card company and they said everything is fine with the card.

Is there a solution to this problem yet??

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:28 AM
  • Kurt92081, please contact support for help with this. I suspect that being out of the country may be a factor in your case.

Use the email support option and explain the details of your problem. If you are located in a country where OneCare is sold and supported, ask support for a local phone number for support.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Steve,

Isn't there a phone number i can call and get this resolved?  I can't log in to support because i don't have a subscription.  When i try to log in via the trial version, it still wants to verify my subscription.  It is a never ending cycle! 

Kurt

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 8:31 AM
  •  Kurt92081 wrote:

Steve,

Isn't there a phone number i can call and get this resolved?  I can't log in to support because i don't have a subscription.  When i try to log in via the trial version, it still wants to verify my subscription.  It is a never ending cycle! 

Kurt

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste a link to the post to which you are replying. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I am also receiving the same error 8179 when attempting to purchase a renewal. i have tried several times on different occasions. No answer was posted...what should I do?

Sunday, November 2, 2008 4:21 PM
  • You should contact support - 

-steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 3:09 PM