Demo Builder Heat Maps break when edited RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, we have a demo builder instance and we like the heat map.

I wanted to make a simple change to zoom the map into the UK so it seemed reasonable to modify the resource file.

I started by changing the zoom value.  The heat map broke so I changed the value back by pasting in the original code and saved.

Still broken.

It seems that I am losing half the web resource.  If I paste in directly or upload the backup I took and then look at the code in the Text Editor, the HTML appears to truncate about half way through (the file is correctly finished off with the closing body and html tags).

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?  It is driving me crazy.  Perhaps there is a character limit I am breaching but if that's the case, how did the demo builders get the code in (unless it was a database script)?

There was a message about Unicode when I loaded the file into Visual Studio so I wondered if there also might be a problem with a strange character (doesn't seem likely).

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Gordon,
    you have this problem because you are editing the web resource directly inside the crm (or paste the text and after click save). The internal editor is pretty buggy when editing html/javascript text.

First of all recover the original text file (you can unzip the solution and file the file inside) and make your changes with an external text editor (like notepad++)

after upload your changes using the browse button (in this way you upload the file without open the internal editor)

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Monday, May 26, 2014 8:08 PM

All replies

• I think I got it to load all the code as when I now open the web resource it shows the correct code all the way to the end.

However, the map does not load.  This is the original text as far as I can tell.

I am working with the "new_webresource_heatmaps" file.  Seems very fragile.

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Just opened the web resource again and it is truncated again.  Something has chopped the file in half behind the scenes.

Very frustrating.

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:25 PM
  • No it is all there.  It seems CRM couldn't be bothered to load the file all the way to the end.

So I suspect that the problem isn't to do with truncation but more likely some form of corruption that has happened.

Strangely the menu panel loads along with the twirly loading image when viewed in the web resource editor.  However, my map dashboard is completely blank.

Surely this is just text.  I don't see what has gone wrong.

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:30 PM
  • Hi Gordon,
    you have this problem because you are editing the web resource directly inside the crm (or paste the text and after click save). The internal editor is pretty buggy when editing html/javascript text.

First of all recover the original text file (you can unzip the solution and file the file inside) and make your changes with an external text editor (like notepad++)

after upload your changes using the browse button (in this way you upload the file without open the internal editor)

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Monday, May 26, 2014 8:08 PM
  • I managed to retrieve a copy of the HTML from another demo builder instance and I installed and published an unmanaged solution containing the heat map files.

So far the dashboard renders the entity selection menu but seems stuck loading the actual map itself.  All I get is the twirling image.

The bingmapskey variable is the same in both files and I can't see any instance specific hard coding.

Going to try again in case I messed something up.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:05 AM
  • Aha!

The actual resource files were not included in the solution for some reason so I wasn't actually overwriting the broken version of the map.

Sometimes I think I know what I'm doing and other times I realize that I know nothing :)

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:37 AM