Firewall settings RRS feed

• Question

• I just added a laptop to my WLOC subscription. I've got a 2 computer network set up with the laptop wireless. My question is this, should the firewall setting on my laptop be public or home/work? Logically, I should think it would be home/work, but does that offer me enough protection when on the internet.? In the past, my desktop changed from home/work to public when I got online.  Basically, I'm asking what's the difference?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:47 PM

Answers

• Home or Work is a more relaxed setting and allows for File and Printer sharing, among other things, to function seamlessly. When you connect to a new network it will default to Public, which restricts access to the PC.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:03 PM

All replies

• Home or Work is a more relaxed setting and allows for File and Printer sharing, among other things, to function seamlessly. When you connect to a new network it will default to Public, which restricts access to the PC.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Ok, thanks. Is there any reason why my laptop wouldn't be switching to public once it goes on line?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:58 PM
  • If it recognizes the network based on the gateway and IP address assigned by the DHCP server (your router) it already knows that it is on a Private network. Whenever you connect to a new network, it will need to be identified.

Using Vista, this is part of the default networking behavior. In XP, OneCare has adopted this behavior.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:17 AM