managing backups over a long period RRS feed

• Question

• Please help me understand how I would manage my backups over a long period. My backup device is a 1TB external disk. OneCare Backup runs every night and, assuming their is sufficient space, performs flawlessly.

After a few months of successful operation though, OneCare Backup has filled the backup device and now complains there is not sufficient space to do a backup.

Is the best plan to copy the backup files on the external disk to a DVD then delete them off the external drive. Will OneCare Backup then continue incremental backups or start of with a full backup? Is this the best way to handle the issue or is there another better recommendation?

I am used to SQL Server backup plans where it is usual to take a full backup periodically e.g. once per week and then transaction backups daily. Is this the sort of plan I should use for my OneCare backup? Is it possible to automate this so the weekly full and incremental backups get copied to DVD and the external backup drive is cleared ready to take OneCare Backups?
    Leroy
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:49 AM

Answers

• Hello Leroy, I don't know that I'd want to copy a tb of data to DVD. Since One Care only backs up data files I don't see a purpose to performing a full backup beyond the initial backup. After the first backup anything beyond an incremental backup will just duplicate data that is already backed up. You can automate backup to the external drive but it is not possible to automate backup to DVD.
    It is difficult to suggest a backup plan because we all have different needs but I would format the external drive, perform a new full backup then set incremental backups on a schedule that fits my needs.
    Jim
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hello Leroy, I don't know that I'd want to copy a tb of data to DVD. Since One Care only backs up data files I don't see a purpose to performing a full backup beyond the initial backup. After the first backup anything beyond an incremental backup will just duplicate data that is already backed up. You can automate backup to the external drive but it is not possible to automate backup to DVD.
    It is difficult to suggest a backup plan because we all have different needs but I would format the external drive, perform a new full backup then set incremental backups on a schedule that fits my needs.
    Jim
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Filling a 1T external drive with backups over a period of a few months, even if you are backing up nightly, seems like you might want to review your backup plan. It would seem that you are backing up some rather large files that change daily or more frequently. You may be backing up more often than you really need to or more files than you need to.
    Jim's advice to start over after formatting the external drive is probably the best way to go, though it does mean that you have no backups until you start again.
    What I would do is perform a new backup to DVD of the most critical file types that you wish to be sure to ahve in the event of a failure. Once that has completed, format the external drive and start a new full backup to it after re-configuring backup once again.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:21 PM