Problem using Azure File Share as backup device and source for database files RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to use Azure File Share and save database backups to it.
    We also want to try to use Azure File Share as the directory for database files and try out the performance since it is not so much disc on the onPrem server SQL Server is on.

We found this guide

https://www.sepago.com/blog/2016/06/23/step-by-step-Installing-Microsoft-SQL-Server-2014-with-Azure-Files

But when we have changed the user that runs SQL Service and also the Agent and also persisted the login information by adding it to the credential store like this: cmdkey /add:yourstorageaccount.file.core.windows.net /user:storageaccountname /pass:yourstorageaccountkey we still get this error message when we for example trying to do a backup:

Cannot open backup device '\\[MyName].file.core.windows.net\sqlshare\Backup\[DBName].bak'. Operating system error 1326(The user name or password is incorrect.).

What have we missed?

Henrik Fransas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:09 PM

All replies

• It worked when I changed to use a domain user that is admin on my computer.

I do not want to use an admin user, so it would be great to know how to create a local user with the correct only necessary access rights to get it to work

Henrik Fransas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:47 PM
  • Hi Henrik Fransas,

It seems the issue is more related to the environment(SQL Server runs on Azure VM), in this case, I’d suggest you post it in Azure VM forum for better help.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:01 AM