Cannot select Site URL in Project Site Provisioning Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have Project Server 2010 installed on SharePoint 2010 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Web. Database server (SQL Server 2008 SP1) is installed on antoher machine. I created Project Web App which seems to work properly. But in PWA -> Server Settings -> Project Site Provisioning Settings in the Site URL section the Default Web Application list is totaly empty. What's more IE8 displays JavaScript error:

Webpage error details
    Line: 1136
    Char: 4
    Code: 0
    URI: https://portal/pwa/_layouts/pwa/Admin/WorkspaceProvisioningSettings.aspx

I suppose the JavaScript error is related to this empty list.

This problem has also impact on Publish function from Project Professional 2010. When I try to publish project to Project Server in the dialog box Publish Project the Web Application list is also empty and after clicking Publish button I get an error message:

The project site cannot be provisioned for this project.
    The site where the project is to be provisioned appears to be invalid. Please retry after correcting the site URL.

I checked event logs and SharePoint log and I don't see any errors there.

Thanks in advance for any tips how to solve this problem.
    Lukasz Chomin

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:09 PM

Answers

• Lukasz:

I suspect that the issue may be due to that upgraded content db. Try the following.

-Remove the IIS compression - check the status

-For testing purpose, create new web application with new content db, provision PWA, check the status.

-If that works, ensure the Previous PWA created on the newly created content database. Later remove the upgraded db, check the status.

-If no PWA listed, its not possible to browse PWA - Weird.

Thanks Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by Lukasz Chomin Monday, May 31, 2010 10:02 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 12:48 AM

All replies

• sounds like something did not work properly when you provisionned a PWA instance, please check the ULS for more information on what happened (step by to step to provision an instance is documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662105.aspx
    Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Lukasz,

As per Line 1136, looks like the issue is due to loading the Template or web application. Do you have Language pack?

function EnableDefaultSiteCollectionControls(enable)
    {ULStLF:;
       document.all.idDefaultSiteCollectionName.disabled = !enable;
       idVirtualServerDropdown.disabled = !enable;
    }
    </SCRIPT>
       <script language="jscript">
        Shell_CustomizeUI();
        Shell_HideLeftActionBar();
      </script>

-Did you customize the default site collection? Are you the site collection administrator?

-Do you have any customized project workspace template?

-Is that content database upgraded from project 2003, wss 2.0?

-Did you try to publish the project plan with the settings "Allow users to manually create project sites in project server"

-What is the status of the check box in front of the option "Restrict project site creation to the default site collection"?

-Is that PWA created using host header option while provisioning the PWA?

-Can you remove the SSL and check the status using NetBios? 

-Can you check the status of IIS compression?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Dear Sriram,

I initially installed SharePoint 2010 in EN language after that PL language pack than Project Server 2010 EN and at the end again PL language pack.
    I didn't customize the default site collection and I'm site collection administrator.
    I don't have any customized project workspace templates.
    The main content database for SharePoint has been upgraded from SharePoint 2003 to 2007 and finally to 2010. But Project has been installed for the first time. I used for it different contect database according to the Technet document
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662105.aspx.
    I cannot set the settings "Allow users to manually create project sites in project server" because the Save button doesn’t work due to the JavaScript error.
    The checkbox for "Restrict project site creation to the default site collection" is unchecked. I cannot change it (Save) because of the JavaScript error.
    The PWA site was created without the host header option.
    I removed the SSL binding but on http it doesn’t work as well.
    I have static and dynamic compression enabled at IIS.

What’s interesting when I go to Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage service applications -> Project Server Service Application I don’t see here any PWA sites listed. There is only information: There are no items to show in this view. Maybe that might help to narrow down the problem.

Thanks a lot for you kind help.
    Lukasz Chomin

Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Lukasz:

I suspect that the issue may be due to that upgraded content db. Try the following.

-Remove the IIS compression - check the status

-For testing purpose, create new web application with new content db, provision PWA, check the status.

-If that works, ensure the Previous PWA created on the newly created content database. Later remove the upgraded db, check the status.

-If no PWA listed, its not possible to browse PWA - Weird.

• Marked as answer by Lukasz Chomin Monday, May 31, 2010 10:02 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 12:48 AM
  • Dear Sriram,

Thanks for your input. As I didn't have any data there yet I deleted the site and all related databases and I created the PWA application once again from scratch. Now everything is working as expected.

Best regards
    Lukasz Chomin

Monday, May 31, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi

we just had the same issue and even if this thread is quite old it might be that someone else stumbles across this issue and it helps.

We had the same java script error (line 1137 but that might depend on patch level or some other minor issue) and could not select a web application - neither in the site provisioning settings nor in the create site dialog.

We first tried "edit" in Central Administration / Project Server Service Application / Manage PWA sites to reprovision everything and also tried SharePoint Configuration Wizard, but it did not help. Also it did not work with IIS compression enabled or disabled.

So we decided to do as suggested by Siriam:

• delete pwa site (do not delete site collection)
    • delete web application (delete iis website, do not delete content databasess)
    • create new web application with new content database
    • mount-spcontentdatabase and attach the existing content db
    • dismount temporary content database
    • recreate pwa site with the existing set of project server databases in the existing site collection

That helped.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:40 PM