OCS Remote Call Control (RCC) for Outlook Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: Cisco UCM 6.1, Cisco Presence Server 6.0, Office Communications Server 2007 Std Edition, Office Communicator, MS Office 2003, Windows XP SP2.

I'm having some difficulty in completing my OCS / Cisco integration. We've got remote call control working from within Office Communicator which gives us click to call for Outlook GAL contacts and Outlook personal contacts, however I cannot dial personal contacts from the Contacts folder itself. It seems the Office Communicator has not taken ownership of the dialler for the contacts folder. All my reading says that this should be possible, and it's a real show stopper as users will not understand that they cannot call from Outlook contacts. It must be all or nothing.

Can anyone help?

Monday, June 30, 2008 2:45 PM

All replies

• Is the "Call Contact" menu item not appearing when right-clicking on a contact in Outlook, or does the phone number appear but selecting it doesn't result in OCS dialing (via RCC)?

It should work in RCC as I've setup that way before and didn't do anything special (that I know of) to get that functionailty.  I'm assuming you have the Outlook itegration patch(es) installed and Outlook is up-to-date?

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Hi Jeff, thanks for the help.

The Call Contact menu item is there, but it just seems that OCS has not configured the modem for use with the telephony system. I hadnt installed any particular patches, but found this one and installed it. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=951662 . Still no progress. Outlook 2003 is fully patched by SUS to SP3.

The contact is fully populated with phone number (correctly normalized) and the dialling options have selected "Standard Modem" by default.

When i click on a contact to dial, after a few seconds I get the following error message: Another program is usingt he selected telephony device. Try again after the other program has finished with it.

Just to confirm that all RCC works from within the Communicator application and from the Global Address List, but having this work from the Outlook contacts is imperative to the project's success.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 9:27 AM
  • Outlook 2003 could not dial over Communicator. You must update to Outlook 2007.

You can download a free tool form ESTOS "phone control" http://www,estos.de". With this tool you will be able to dial from Outlook 2003 contacts.

regards

Holger Bunkradt

Saturday, July 19, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Thanks Holger. We ended up using this successfully. Pity MS did not address this as part of the Communicator 2007 rollout.

Monday, July 21, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Is this confirmed it will work with Outlook 2007.   Can it be OCS or LCS or does it really matter?  My RCC works fine with LCS and OCS platforms, but I guess i never did try click to call outlook for the MOC client.
    INS
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Yes, I've deployed this with RCC and GAL contacts or Personal Address Book contacts can be dialed using Outlook 2007.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:21 PM