Completely "headless" operation? RRS feed

• Question

• I've gotten used to my WHS quietly sitting in the corner and doing everything well.  My remaining questions is simple -- Is there any way to use remote console (or any add-in you know of) to shut the server down.  It seems a waste to keep a monitor, keyboard and mouse tied up just for running occasional shut-downs.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:47 PM

Answers

• Sure.  I do it all the time.  You can...

a)  Click the shut down icon in the bottom left hand corner of the settings screen

or

b)   Remote Desktop into the server and shut down from the start menu
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:41 AM
  • I've gotten used to my WHS quietly sitting in the corner and doing everything well.  My remaining questions is simple -- Is there any way to use remote console (or any add-in you know of) to shut the server down.  It seems a waste to keep a monitor, keyboard and mouse tied up just for running occasional shut-downs.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Although Marino13's suggestions will work, those are unsupported since it requires you to logon to the server desktop.  You should shut the server down from a client using the Console.  (Settings button, Shut Down button, Shut down option)
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:28 PM

All replies

• Sure.  I do it all the time.  You can...

a)  Click the shut down icon in the bottom left hand corner of the settings screen

or

b)   Remote Desktop into the server and shut down from the start menu
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:41 AM

Thanks,
    Mike
    Although Marino13's suggestions will work, those are unsupported since it requires you to logon to the server desktop.  You should shut the server down from a client using the Console.  (Settings button, Shut Down button, Shut down option)
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:28 PM