Can't get my computer to recognise External hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

• When I plug my hard drive in and switch it on, my (windows 7) laptop recognises it and it appears in 'Disk Management' but when I try to Initialize it, it says "The device is not ready".

I have already tried the cmd.exe > diskpart etc. trick but it says that the disk is already online. It doesn't show in 'my computer' either.

I know that the hard drive isn't broken because I used it on my old vista PC (which I no longer have) and it was always fine. It just seems to be that as soon as I plugged it into my windows 7 laptop, I have never been able to get it to work.

There is nothing currently on the hard drive that I want so if there is a way to format the whole thing to get it to work then that would be fine.

Any ideas??? 

• Moved by Just Karl Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:51 PM Looking for the proper forum.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 7 forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 7 forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:51 PM