Archiving to a single malbox RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any info on this functionality. According to my boss, Microsoft informed him that IM conversations for all users could be archived to a single mailbox.

Any truth?

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:14 PM

All replies

• Yes, it's called journaling.  Here is a page with some info on this:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/06/22/444296.aspx

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

Thanks for your answer.

WIth the rules that can be set for Journaling, can this be limited to IM messages only?

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Ok, sorry - I saw the word "mailbox" in the subject and missed "IM" in your message.  My previous response was related to archiving e-mail in Exchange to a single mailbox.  The answer is slightly more complex if you want to archive IMs to a mailbox.  OCS has archiving capability, but the OCS archive store is SQL.  You can enable archiving of all IMs to SQL and retrieve them using SQL tools from the database.

If you want to archive IMs to an Exchange mailbox then the IMs need to be stored in Exchange.  Communicator 2007 gives you the ability to store IM conversations into a "Conversation History" folder in Outlook.  However, journaling in Exchange is triggered by message flow and I'm relatively certain that the process Communicator uses to place IM conversations in your mailbox would not trigger journaling since the messages are not passing through the Hub Transport process.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:31 PM
  • OK.

We will have just over 100 users to begin with. Currently we are on Exchange 2003. In a few months we will migrate to Exchange 2007.

Would it work to set up an Exmerge task to archive everyone's Conversation History folder to a file share on a nightly basis?

Of course , we would have to deal with the issue of people deleting converstions from that folder before they are archived.

Thanks
    Monday, June 9, 2008 6:39 PM