none
using Sync framework to synchronize RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Sync Framework. It was so attractive on seeing the features provided by Microsoft Sync Framework. This is the perfect match for my new application requirements. But i have few questions which is still unclear to me.

Requirement: Need to synchronize the local db with SQL 2000.

1. I tried out sample applications. In abcd.sync file, Configure Datasource Synchronization, when connecting to server, it asks for the server connection & client connection. The server am able to choose it. But for the client is that mandatory to use only Sql Server compact edition? Or shall i use SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 as client db. If yes, then how to do this. Because am not able to choose other than SQL Server Compact edition.

2. If i have SQL 2008 in Client is that possible to synchronize the local data with SQL 2000 db.

Note: Its not possible to migrate my existing SQL 2000 server to sql 2005 or SQL 2008. So i have to live with SQL 2000 in server.

Pls provide your inputs/suggestions to proceed with.

Regards

Sasi

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:13 AM

All replies

• 1.  The Visual Studio Local Database Cache project item only works with SQL Server as the server and SQL Ce as the client. This wizard also uses the offline providers and there is no out-of-the-box client provider other than SQL Ce. there is a sample client provider for Sql Express though.

2. afaik, the minimum SQL supported is SQL Server 2005 SP2 because of the way the anchors/timestamps are retrieved.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

so its possible only to choose SQLCE as the client.

For the 2nd point, minimum supported version mentioned is SQL Server 2005 SP2 on the server.  Can you pls cofirm,

1. Minimum supported version in Client -

2. Minimum Supported version in Server -

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:32 AM
  • just check the documentation, to quote:

"Sync Framework includes providers that support the ability to synchronize SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2, SQL Server 2005 SP2, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, and SQL Azure. Sync Framework also supports the ability to synchronize a database that has a corresponding ADO.NET provider."

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Pls confirm my understanding.

1. Client machine may have any sql server (sql server 200x, or sql compact) But the destination server (Centralized server) am going to synchronize should be any of SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2, SQL Server 2005 SP2, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, and SQL Azure.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:19 AM
  • the requirement is for both client and server
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Tried with other alternatives and got delayed. I have SQL Server 2005 SP2, Sql Compact 3.5 SP2 in my client machine and there is no change in the server machine except the changes in existing tables (two columns will get automatically added to the existing tables for tracking purpose). My server has SQL 2000 and am able to connect to server;download the data to local on first time synchronization; further synchronization works perfectly.

I just worked a small windows application; added a localdatacache.sync file, connected to server/client, a new sdf file created and used the sample code which was available in wizard.

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:45 PM
  • The samples i worked was able to connect o SQL 2000 and synchronize the local SQL CE db.

Now when i narrow down my research to download only the specific records that the user entered. i.e. i need to download only the record for the user criteria and not the whole data.

For this when i googled, found the result as i need to use provisioning & scoping, filtering features. But for this i need to refer the API SQLSyncScopeProvisioning. But when i use that API at runting i am getting error "This version of SQL server is not supported.Version detected 8.0".

Do we have any other alternative way to download only the records matches user criteria or any sample code to achieve this?

Note : my requirement is to synchronize the local db with SQL 2000 server..

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:37 PM
  • check How to: Filter Rows and Columns under Offline Scenarios in the documentation.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Sure will check for the possibility of using Filter rows & columns option and update in this post.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Need the quick update.

During sync setup, i can select the tables i want to synchronize. But currently my existing application uses sp_addlinkedserver to access the data from remote centralized server(which is shared server and its only possible to get the data via linkedserver concept).

When we plan to go for offline setup, how we can get the data from remote server? Is there any way i can setup my sync setup by connecting to Stored procedure instead of tables. Any samples or any alternatives?

or in other way,

How can i configure my synchronization to get the data via SQL Stored procedure (which inturn get the data from Linked server)? Its only required to download the data from remote server and there will not be any update/insert/delete in remote server.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:33 AM