Upgrade Fix it Center on Windows XP SP3 MatSvc Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Fix It Beta and received a message to update the application when I started it.

I have a Windows XP SP3 (Fully Updated) using Fix It Beta

I was asked to update my Fix It Beta application. The update process went through but I was still left with the Beta Fix It application. When I started the program (again), I was asked to update the application (again).

Using my Event Viewer I had the following error messages:

ERROR: Product: Microsoft Fix it Center -- Error 1923. Service 'Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Service' (MatSvc) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

WARNING: The MATS service encountered a failure when getting HTTP proxy settings. hr=0x80072F94

.Keyword:GetUrlProxyInfo

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:13 PM

Answers

• This solution has worked on two separate work/home PCs with Windows XP SP3 only (fully patched).

Go to the Services Consol - Start / Admin Tools / Services (or Run then type "Services.msc" no quotes)

Go to the Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Service (MATS)

Right Click, choose Properties

Under the General tab make sure the Start Up type is Automatic

Go next to the Log On tab

Choose "This Account" button and type in "NT AUTHORITY\System" (no quotes)

You'll be asked a password and will be required to confirm the password (that I can't help you out with)

If successful you'll be asked to Stop and Restart the service. I recommend you do so under the General Tab.

I did the above steps on two separate PCs with XP SP3 and it worked.

Fix It was still in Beta mode but I no longer got the Update Application button when I started the program

GOOD LUCK!

• Marked as answer by WSR203 Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:39 PM

All replies

• This solution has worked on two separate work/home PCs with Windows XP SP3 only (fully patched).

Go to the Services Consol - Start / Admin Tools / Services (or Run then type "Services.msc" no quotes)

Go to the Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Service (MATS)

Right Click, choose Properties

Under the General tab make sure the Start Up type is Automatic

Go next to the Log On tab

Choose "This Account" button and type in "NT AUTHORITY\System" (no quotes)

You'll be asked a password and will be required to confirm the password (that I can't help you out with)

If successful you'll be asked to Stop and Restart the service. I recommend you do so under the General Tab.

I did the above steps on two separate PCs with XP SP3 and it worked.

Fix It was still in Beta mode but I no longer got the Update Application button when I started the program

GOOD LUCK!

• Marked as answer by WSR203 Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I do not understand anything that you proposed above. I apologize, but I am not computer savvy.

Suzanne

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:49 PM
  • WSR203 Is terrific!!!!!

Your solution worked perfectly, and progressed exactly as you had documented!

I have visited many forums to resolve this problem, and most had nothing to say except that MS staff themselves didn't seem to know what was going on.  Your posting was exactly what MS fails to deliver in all its mighty glory and overpaid technicians!  THANKS!

• Proposed as answer by andrew_sea Monday, December 24, 2012 2:36 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 2:35 AM