Licensing restrictions confusion. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have had training for the basic use of CRM by a microsoft partner who has customised it for us and am waiting to go on the customisation course.

I have a few questions about CRM web services and the legality of connecting to it.  The users which were on it were coming up with great idea for addon which would require external web apps to show or pass data to the CRM server via webservices.

I am aware that you need to be a user of CRM to be able to see data within it either via the app or via external web pages which interact with the data directly.

Is it possible then to have a database as a go between and use a user account to transfer the required data to the other database and then use this for showing the users some predefined information, or would this also be classed as illegal use?

I am wondering as the trainer suggested something along this lines as a way to present information to external users (non CRM user account holders).

Any suggestions/ websites for gathering information on what I can do and cant do whether it be direct access to the CRM web service or pushing and pulling data via a go between database would be greatfully recieved.

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:03 PM

Answers

• The licensing is reasonably clear on this.

The only thing you need to expose CRM data to external third parties is an external connector license. How you expose this data is up to you. It could be a record lookup on a web form or it could be a static presentation of live data. If the person is actually an employee of the company, to access the system they need a CRM license.

Leon Tribe
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:13 AM