Create a BI Group based on a Security Group RRS feed

• Question

• I don’t understand the Group Permissions for BI and I’m not finding the right documentation.  We want to create a new group for Resource Managers and base it on the resources in EPM having the Security Group “Resource Managers.”  How do we do this?  Is it possible?

I would appreciate links to both:

(1)     general knowledge for understanding the security settings in BI for creating new groups, general functionality , etc., as well as

(2)     advice on how to create BI groups that are automatically populated based on a resource’s security Group (Executive, Resource Manager, etc.), if it is possible.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Leslie,

Based on the way user security is implemented in your PWA, you can either uncheck "View Business Intelligence Link" on Team Member group level or edit the security template (which is used on Team Member group earlier) and re-apply the updated security template.

Similar step will be applicable for Resource Managers group to enable "View Business Intelligence Link" option. Make sure users in Resource managers group are member of Report viewers AD group configured in secure store.

Thanks,

Hrishi

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Leslie,

By default

· Team Members: Members of the Team Members group in PWA are automatically added to the Team members group (Microsoft Project Server) SharePoint Group in the Business Intelligence Center.

· Project Managers: Members of the Project Managers group in PWA are automatically added to the Project Managers Group (Microsoft Project Server) SharePoint Group in the Business Intelligence Center.

BI uses secure store to impersonate service account to read the reports. Kindly refer following TechNet article to understand how it works.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx#ConfigureBIAccess

I guess above link could address your first question.

As far second question is concern unless user is part of BI report viewers group and on project group “View Business Intelligence Link” global permission is set, user won’t be able to access BI reports.

Thanks,

Hrishi Deshpande

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Thank you Hrishi,

I realize now that I did not specify in my first post that we want to restrict Team Members from accessing BI, allowing only the Resource Managers, Project Managers and above.  For this reason we are looking for an alternate way to automatically populate the Resource Managers to a new group since they will neither publish projects or be granted the Save Project permissions (as would Project Managers).  Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hello Leslie,

Based on the way user security is implemented in your PWA, you can either uncheck "View Business Intelligence Link" on Team Member group level or edit the security template (which is used on Team Member group earlier) and re-apply the updated security template.

Similar step will be applicable for Resource Managers group to enable "View Business Intelligence Link" option. Make sure users in Resource managers group are member of Report viewers AD group configured in secure store.

Thanks,

Hrishi

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:58 PM