One Care Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• I bought Windows Live OneCare yesterday for 1 year,I have had it on and it says it runs out  on April 4, it was a new version I got yesterday so my Subscription now go to November 19th of 2009.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:16 AM

Answers

• You would already have had the new version, since the CD is simply the installer and OneCare updates itself at install and during the live of the subscription.

If you reinstalled with the new CD, you did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

If you used the new CD on a different computer, but activated with the existing subscription LiveID, the same ingeritance applies as you were not prompted for a key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

If, however, you never had OneCare before and just activated a new subscription, but OneCare shows the expiration date as April of next year, check your PC date and time.

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:27 AM

All replies

• You would already have had the new version, since the CD is simply the installer and OneCare updates itself at install and during the live of the subscription.

If you reinstalled with the new CD, you did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

If you used the new CD on a different computer, but activated with the existing subscription LiveID, the same ingeritance applies as you were not prompted for a key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

If, however, you never had OneCare before and just activated a new subscription, but OneCare shows the expiration date as April of next year, check your PC date and time.

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Gawd subscribing seems so difficult when I guess it shouldn't be! I am at the end of my 90 day trial and wish to subscribe on line. However I seem to be stuck in a hole I cannot get out of!

My problem is when I get to the credit card page it is in US dollars and of course I live in Dubai, UAE so the (where am I field etc only covers the 50 states of USA) I know there is somewhere you can go to other currencies but can I get back there again? I have a used ID and password maybe that is what screws it up?

Grateful for any help! Not sure if the cd is available here, maybe that will solve the problem!

Dave

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:11 AM
  • OneCare is not sold in Dubai, Dave.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Brazil (Portuguese), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Hong Kong (English), Ireland (English), India (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

If your credit card is based in Dubai, your only solution will be to obtain a retail copy of OneCare from a retailer that will ship to Dubai, at which point you can activate with a retail product key.

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:58 PM