WHS install key RRS feed

• Question

• It would be nice to enter the key after getting to the end of the installation with a Beta since there are so many issues and entering the code over and over is tiresome after the 4th time.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:45 AM

All replies

• That may be, but I am glad the MS is switching to requiring the key first.  I hate it when I have just formatted and installed the drive to realize that I can't find the key and have to go digging for it.  (This assumes a re-installation on the same computer.)  If the system wasn't formatted, I could just extract the key with JellyBeans key finder. It is much more convenient to have everything at the begining. 

So, while they could push it off to the end of the install for the beta product, it wouldn't be a fair beta test.  Sorry.

Can we help you get it installed?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I just print mine out first.

I am having trouble with this 9150 Dell Dimension.

I can't say it's all WHS's fault because the same behavior happens with other versions of windows. I always have to use RAID mode (SATA)  for this system.

Vista installs with no issues at all which is interesting and can see a RAID array with no added drivers, if created already.

I think it uses RAID mode as a default and this is why it has no problems.

I used the reported workaround and set SATA mode to ATA and got to the point when it is at the WHS desktop installing WINFX, I believe.

It rebooted many times and failed. I noticed the log showing it could not find WHS disk errors over and over.

Any ideas?

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:07 AM
  • I had no problem with the WHS install key, and only had to enter it once.

WHS reportedly doesn't like being installed on drive systems that are RAID, also seems to have issues installing to SATA systems.

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:41 AM
  • It's just tedious is what I am saying. Getting a nice BSOD over and over (after GUI setup reboot) wasn't very fun.

I did find a workaround like I said earlier and then had different issues which left me at the WHS desktop.

I did not install onto a RAID, just a single SATA drive and my DvD writer is also SATA but I did not install with it.

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:08 PM