Office 2002: Valid Installation and All Ready "Activated" RRS feed

• Question

• I did some updates at some point the precipitated this issue and I need help resolving...

I try to check for updates to my valid, legal installation of Office 2002 that I have had now for years and done validation checks on SUCCESSFULLY in the past. Now the validation check comes back and tells me that I cannot be validated as my copy of Office must be activated. Whatever. SO, I try to follow the instructions to activate and all my Office Apps tell me that they are all ready activated.

Pardon my Irish but, what the hell do I do now? Is Office 2002 not updatable or is there an issue on my system or... ???

Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:49 AM

Answers

• Bruce,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Stephen,

As you can tell, the previous tools for which you provided links did not resolve the issue. When attempting to confirm I am running the most recent version of the validation tool (the previous versions were all run from your Microsoft site), I was able to install and run the validation tool with the same results... failed.

The next steps did, as you said, allow me to select Resolve Now. When I ran that and supposedly "fixed" the errors, I was still provided with a report that validation failed. I have provided the results to the MGA diagnostics tool below.

I see that one line says that "Office Status 101 Not Activated" shows in the data below. As I mentioned in my original note, the Office installation on this system has been installed now for some years and has always passed previous attempts to update as well as previous validation checks. Unless something installed related to a previous update or concerned with IE7, etc. has corrupted the Office installation, I have no clue why this response continues to appear.

Thanks for your efforts.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2JRRR-D3H78-CPDQ9
    Windows Product Key Hash: KfwFMyZcPzFzdqnrCv5K+smOrxk=
    Windows Product ID: 55285-OEM-2115552-81891
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 22c2b2c4-e26b-441d-b4f1-313f4b5d1d43
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>22c2b2c4-e26b-441d-b4f1-313f4b5d1d43</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CPDQ9</PKey><PID>55285-OEM-2115552-81891</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-343818398-152049171-1202660629</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8100               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>XP2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011109000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DDF3336F0184C06A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>1615D2059BCAFBF</Val><Hash>3aYfn1BJpe7X4MEkgbvELg9o8ww=</Hash><Pid>54186-752-7689912-17332</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, April 6, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Brucep,

1) I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.   Open My Computer located on your desktop
    2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow :>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Monday, April 9, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Stephen. Just for the record, I had this same problem and reactivating Office after deleting that data.dat file fixed my problem. Now your site correctly shows my Office XP installation as genuine.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:36 AM
  • I too managed to get the Office Genuine Advantage Validation to correctly identify my copy of Office XP as genuine by deleting that data.dat file in Microsoft/Office/Data and reactivating both my copuies of Office Standard and Frontpage.

Having done all that, it then told me that my copy of Office XP was indeed already all up to date, which given I have been applying updates for the last 5 years was perhaps not that surprising.

So, that is me sorted for now, after a worrying several days, and thanks to all who helped give the solution and reported back that it had worked. However, I really do think that with so many of us experiencing this problem there must be some bug in the OGA validation tool and that Miscrosoft ought to publicise this potential problem and solution more widely.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Bruce,

I am following up with you to see if you deleted the data.dat files and was able to re-validate your Office? Please let me know if all is working well.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Stephen and all those following this thread...

As others have stated as well, once I renamed (I have a bit of a mental block against totally deleting files when renaming will do) the data.dat (and for good measure, the data.bak) files, restarted my system and then reactivated, I was able to get past the Validation Process with no problem.

As Keith mentioned, I found that I had no updates since I, too, have been keeping up with them regularly.

I appreciate your patience, feedback and follow-up, Stephen, and all of you who responded to this thread.

Bruce

Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:35 AM
  • Greeting Bruce,

I am glad you are up and running . Yes I can understand you views regarding deleting files. Also you can cut and paste the files to say your desktop and maintain the files if you wanted. Also renaming the files to say data1 would be an other way but the KB article indicates deleting the file. Take care and have a great weekend. Please come back should you need further assistance with OGA.

regards,

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:09 PM

All replies

• Bruce,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Stephen,

As you can tell, the previous tools for which you provided links did not resolve the issue. When attempting to confirm I am running the most recent version of the validation tool (the previous versions were all run from your Microsoft site), I was able to install and run the validation tool with the same results... failed.

The next steps did, as you said, allow me to select Resolve Now. When I ran that and supposedly "fixed" the errors, I was still provided with a report that validation failed. I have provided the results to the MGA diagnostics tool below.

I see that one line says that "Office Status 101 Not Activated" shows in the data below. As I mentioned in my original note, the Office installation on this system has been installed now for some years and has always passed previous attempts to update as well as previous validation checks. Unless something installed related to a previous update or concerned with IE7, etc. has corrupted the Office installation, I have no clue why this response continues to appear.

Thanks for your efforts.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2JRRR-D3H78-CPDQ9
    Windows Product Key Hash: KfwFMyZcPzFzdqnrCv5K+smOrxk=
    Windows Product ID: 55285-OEM-2115552-81891
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 22c2b2c4-e26b-441d-b4f1-313f4b5d1d43
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>22c2b2c4-e26b-441d-b4f1-313f4b5d1d43</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CPDQ9</PKey><PID>55285-OEM-2115552-81891</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-343818398-152049171-1202660629</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8100               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>XP2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011109000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DDF3336F0184C06A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>1615D2059BCAFBF</Val><Hash>3aYfn1BJpe7X4MEkgbvELg9o8ww=</Hash><Pid>54186-752-7689912-17332</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, April 6, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Brucep,

1) I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.   Open My Computer located on your desktop
    2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow :>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Monday, April 9, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Stephen. Just for the record, I had this same problem and reactivating Office after deleting that data.dat file fixed my problem. Now your site correctly shows my Office XP installation as genuine.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:36 AM
  • I too managed to get the Office Genuine Advantage Validation to correctly identify my copy of Office XP as genuine by deleting that data.dat file in Microsoft/Office/Data and reactivating both my copuies of Office Standard and Frontpage.

Having done all that, it then told me that my copy of Office XP was indeed already all up to date, which given I have been applying updates for the last 5 years was perhaps not that surprising.

So, that is me sorted for now, after a worrying several days, and thanks to all who helped give the solution and reported back that it had worked. However, I really do think that with so many of us experiencing this problem there must be some bug in the OGA validation tool and that Miscrosoft ought to publicise this potential problem and solution more widely.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Bruce,

I am following up with you to see if you deleted the data.dat files and was able to re-validate your Office? Please let me know if all is working well.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Stephen and all those following this thread...

As others have stated as well, once I renamed (I have a bit of a mental block against totally deleting files when renaming will do) the data.dat (and for good measure, the data.bak) files, restarted my system and then reactivated, I was able to get past the Validation Process with no problem.

As Keith mentioned, I found that I had no updates since I, too, have been keeping up with them regularly.

I appreciate your patience, feedback and follow-up, Stephen, and all of you who responded to this thread.

Bruce

Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:35 AM
  • Greeting Bruce,

I am glad you are up and running . Yes I can understand you views regarding deleting files. Also you can cut and paste the files to say your desktop and maintain the files if you wanted. Also renaming the files to say data1 would be an other way but the KB article indicates deleting the file. Take care and have a great weekend. Please come back should you need further assistance with OGA.

regards,

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:09 PM