WHS restore CD does not support USB 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i would like to restore my Vaio laptop with windows 7 64 bit. I have downloaded the current msi file and burned it to a cd. Then i started from cd and i would add the 32bit drivers via usb stick. But the usb 3.0 is not supported. So can´t install the network driver.

After this i created a windows7 restore cd. Then i started the laptop from this and i can reach the WHS but the clientrestorewizard doesn´t work. :-) Finaly with the windows 7 CD the USB 3.0 and Network is working fine.

I believe it is driver problem on the WHS Client Restore CD. How can i add this driver to the image or installation?

Thanks in advance for quick support.

Jens

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:04 PM

All replies

• Check the manual for your Vaio; it's possible (likely, I think) that not all USB ports will be USB 3.0.

Failing that, you can try the xFiles edition, torrent (only; they've had issues with hosting the actual files) available from breakinghomeserver.com. While this isn't an official Microsoft distribution, it's built from the current (Power Pack 3) restore media, and contains a bunch of additional drivers.

And if all else fails, you can remove the drive from your laptop, connect it to some other computer that's a client of your server, and run clientrestorewizard.exe from that client.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi Ken,

thanks for your quick response!

Vaio Laptop has got just two USB 3.0.

Your Link is perfect.

That was what i'am looking for months! :-)

I gona build in the drivers. I'll post results hopefully soon.

Thanks very much and Happy new Year!

Jens

Friday, December 31, 2010 10:52 AM