none
Quote: Copy, Paste, and then apply Quote.

Question

• Many times when quoting other users's messages we don't need the whole message but a particular sentence/s. So the current quote button option isn't very useful. 

My suggestion is:

If we copy, paste, select the quote text and apply quote to the selected quote using a button (like applying bold to the selected text), would be better. In this way we could quote more than one quote and customize it more easily. 

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:45 AM

All replies

• When you quote you can edit or delete any unwanted portion of it as needed.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:34 AM

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

As I said you would need to quote only few sentences compare to the whole text. Hence it would be easier to only copy the sentences that you would need. 

It would be great if we could select the required text and then click the quote button also. 

Another issue is that there is no way that we could quote from more than one person's text. Or even from blogs or other forums. In this way our reply would be more concise and easy to understand. Traceability... 

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:59 AM
  • As I said many times you would need to quote only few sentences. Hence it would be easier to only copy the sentences that you would need. 

It would be great if we could select the required text and then click the quote button also. 

Another issue is that there is no way that we could quote from more than one person's text. Or even from blogs or other forums. In this way our reply would be more concise and easy to understand. Traceability... 

I think if you are quoting from anything except the post of the person to whom you are replying you should not use the forum quoting mechanism. In fact, the forums do not distinguish between first and higher level quotes (they used to, but not any more). When I quote I always remove the parts of the quote that came from earlier responders.

But I would certainly agree that the handling of quotes in the editor is very poor, mostly because it is very difficult to respond separately to different parts of the quote (interleaved response). In fact in general, IMHO, the editor is the worst part of the forum experience.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:34 PM
  • As davewilk mentioned, another advantage would be responding to different sentences (quotes) in an interleaved manner. 

Stating quotes from different websites can help in more precise documentation of the answer for the future references. 

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:54 PM
  • You can do this currently, but it's not exactly easy. You need to edit the HTML directly.

Quote #1

Response to quote #1

Quote #2

Response to quote #2

Quote #3

Response to quote #3

Just an example. I don't do this normally, but it has come in handy when responding to large posts with several questions to address.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:59 PM

The problem with doing this is that when you delete lines, the font gets really small and hard to read.  This is a bug that has been here for a LONG time and has been ignored.  I really wish they would fix it!

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:40 PM
  • The problem with doing this is that when you delete characters, the font gets really small and hard to read.  This is a bug that has been here for a LONG time and has been ignored.  I really with they would fix it!

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

AFAIK, this issue only happens with Chrome. No idea why though.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:41 PM
  • AFAIK, this issue only happens with Chrome. No idea why though.
    I use SeaMonkey browser (similar to FireFox). This does not happen, but the line spacing often gets really messed up when you delete lines.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:24 PM
  • You can do this currently, but it's not exactly easy. You need to edit the HTML directly.

For the coders among us, this isn't too hard either. Others can try it as a little free exercise ;)

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:11 PM
  • For the coders among us, this isn't too hard either. Others can try it as a little free exercise ;)

True, but I really dislike the HTML 'editor' we have to use. It would be nice if we could at least resize it (width, not height)...

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:15 PM
  • It's not about who can or who can't use html. It all about efficiency and time saving. Don't tell me that fixing this using html is better than not fixing it! 

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:46 PM