Internet not working RRS feed

• Question

•  

I already have my doubts about Live OneCare.  I use a Gateway Desktop with Windows XP and my wife uses a Gateway Laptop with Windows Vista.  In an attempt to only subscribe to one antivirus I just downloaded the trial version of Live OneCare to my desktop to replace Norton360.  Well, now my internet won't work on that computer.  Interestingly, the router is hooked up to that computer via direct cable but I still get internet on my wifes computer.  This is very frustrating.  Also, the Windows XP Service Pack 3 will not download correctly onto the desktop... What do I need to do to get this fixed quickly?
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Drubie22, the internet connectivity issue is most likely caused by Norton 360 not being uninstalled completely. The Norton uninstall tool should resolve this issue - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2007080716223439?Open&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid

Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Drubie22,

DO NOT try to install Windows XP SP3 until all other problems have been resolved. This will not fix anything it will simply make it worse. This is a common mistake, since installing a major upgrade while a system is not operating correctly simply makes the situation worse.

As Jim stated, you'll need to make certain that the Norton AV is completely gone first. As to how to get the Internet connection to do this, first try temporarily disabling the OneCare firewall in the OneCare GUI, click Change Settings, on the Firewall tab click 'Off'. If this doesn't work, you may need to uninstall OneCare temporarily or download the Norton Removal tool on your wife's PC and place a copy on CD.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:04 PM