Unable to Install Windows Home Server Connector RRS feed

• Question

• I’m unable to Install Windows Home Server Connector on one of my computer. I have 4 Computers – A HTPC and two desktop connected to a WINDOWS HOME SERVER. The 3 desktop all have Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM.

I need some help from the experts on this forum.

The specs on the computer with problems is:
    Case: Mid-ATX Case / Power Supply: Seasonic S12-380
    CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+  @ 2.2 GHz / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
    RAM: Corsair XM2  (2 X 1 GB) DDR2-800 / Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Hard Drive: Western digital 40GB IDE + Hitachi 400 GB SATA / DVD: Lite-on LH-16A1S SCSI DVDRW 

I have copied SETUP.EXE from the WHS SOFTWARE program and am attempting to use it to instaled the CONNECTOR SOFTWARE.

The program operates as designed until it get to the password.

It WILL NOT ACCEPT MY PASSWORD.

I know the password is correct because the same password is use on this computer, Also for MY REMOTE DESKTOP and the WHS.

I can access the server from this computer using the RDP with no problem; copy the same password over to the Connector setup and I get this ERROR :

The operation cannot be completed at this time.

Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

I suspects a registry problem.

This has been a ongoing problem for about a week; delayed by a death in the extended family. I would like to get the problem resolved.

I  have also deleted the Connector directory per instruction from the toolkit program.
    Ran ccleaner on the registry.

Tried a restore, all without success. I haven’t tried a restore from the WHS and would prefer to try to resolve this problem before using the WHS as a last resort.

CarolinaGuy
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You should give the Connector Troubleshooter a go and see if you can resolve your problem. If it comes back with a problem post the details here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=42426D83-2C54-446E-86ED-E3E9E7E33A98&displaylang=en

There is a good guide for it here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10569/troubleshoot-connection-issues-with-windows-home-server-toolkit/

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Al West,

THANKS for your suggestions. I installed WHS TOOLKIT.

Here's my results. I have a PERFECT SYSTEM, it's just doesn't accept the password to connect to the server.

Connector Troubleshooter Results

The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter tests are now complete.
    Potential issues are displayed below. It is important to follow the recommendations to resolve potential Windows Home Server issues.

Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article
    Read the article

ReadMe for this tool
    About the tool

CarolinaGuy
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Update.

I can now logged onto the server with this computer using the CONNECTOR SOFTWARE; but, I still have two problems.

1. No Shared Folder on desktop for this Computer.
    2. This computer is greyed out in the WHS and I am unable to back it up.

THANKS for your help. Need suggestion for resolving these two issues.

CarolinaGuy
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Are you using any firewall products? Try disabling them
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Windows Firewall - It's disabled. No Change

Network Magic is showing this Computer on-line from another computer on the network. WHS is showing the computer offline. AutoExit addinn is also showing it offline.

The computer is up and running and IS NOT OFFLINE.

CarolinaGuy
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Not sure if this will help - when I had a similar problem and it was caused by diffrent versions of the connector software. If I remember corectly, my server downloaded some updates and my old connector did not work so I end up downloading the latest connector from Microsoft's website.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:13 AM

• res72,

I have the correct version. By the way, updating to the correct version is what started this mess. I wish now I had left the old version installed.

CarolinaGuy
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:50 AM
  • When you go to the connector software directory on your server:
    \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software

Is the version of Setup.exe (Properties->Version) 6.0.2423.0 with the file dates as so:

10/07/2009  13:48     224,104      setup.exe
    10/07/2009  21:16     15,460,352   WHSConnector.msi
    10/07/2009  13:48     1,103,720    WHSConnectorInstall.exe
    10/07/2009  15:45     16,396,800   WHSConnector_x64.msi
    10/07/2009  13:48     41,320       WHSVersionUpgrade.dll
    10/07/2009  15:11     43,880       WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

You definitely have PP3 installed on your Windows Home Server?  Goto Settigns->Resources in the Windows Home Server Console, should read:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

I also had this problem with my system and I had reboot my Windows Home Server twice before it would install.

Don't do a reinstall or anything rash we'll nail it in the end.

--
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:37 AM
  • AL,

Yes. I do have PP3

This is from
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

I'll stick with you and not do anything rash. I'll try a few shutdowns and restarts.

CarolinaGuy
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:58 AM
  • And you did check "\\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software"  for the timestamps and version of setup.exe

And that is also the same as what I posted?  If so I am stumped other than reboot client and PCs and reinstall software - though I don't have confidence that will work - maybe someone else will have an idea - other than that  I'm stumped.

--
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Al,

Ye, I did. It reads.
    setup.exe 10/07/2009  14:48PM     Application 219KB

This all started with an attempt to update the software on 8 Feb. with an error in the event viewer:
    Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer BABYGIRL uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.

Updates went well on 2 of the 3 computers on the server network; but, this one decided to be a PAIN.

CarolinaGuy
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:29 AM
  • This problem is still not resolved; I still have these two problems.
    1. No Shared Folder on desktop for this Computer.
    2. This computer is grayed out in the WHS and I am unable to back it up.

THANKS for your help in advance and for all the suggestions to this point. Any suggestions for resolving these two issues are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

CarolinaGuy
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Summary & Update
    On 8 Feb. I noticed an error in the event viewer stating:
    Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer BABYGIRL uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.
    BABYGIRL is my Windows Home Server.

On 2 of the 3 computers in my network the update was successful but on one I was unable to update the Connector software. The specs on the computer with problems is:
    Case: Mid-ATX Case / Power Supply: Seasonic S12-380
    CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+  @ 2.2 GHz / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
    RAM: Corsair XM2  (2 X 1 GB) DDR2-800 / Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Hard Drive: Western digital 40GB IDE + Hitachi 400 GB SATA / DVD: Lite-on LH-16A1S SCSI DVDRW  

This attempt resulted in no Connector capablity for this sytem to the server.

I went to one of my other computer and copied WHSConnectorInstall.exe and setup.exe to a blank CD.

When I attempted to load the CONNECTOR software on this Computer I would always get to the Step  requiring the server password, but when I entered the PROPER PASSWORD I would get this ERROR:

X The operation cannot be completed at this time

Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

I tried installing this software multiple time and could never get it to accept the password.

If I stopped HERE with the installation and attempted a REMOTE DESKTOP Log-on using the same password I was successful.

Finally after a week and in total frustration, I GAVE UP, Yesterday I loaded up my WHS restore software and restored the computer using the last backup on 7 February.

Everything went without a hitch and I am now again backing up this computer on a daily basis to the Windows Home server (WHS).

This is a recurring problem as evidence by the postings on this forum.
    Microsoft needs to come up with a workable solution to the problem.

CarolinaGuy
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Guys I messed around with this for ages, uninstalled/. reinstalled, went to event viewer noticed the date and time stamps where all wrong and the pc name that was trying to log on was wrong. realised system time was wrong , corrected that and syced times.windows.com corrected the date in my bios, this was definately correct before .net 3.0 install. Reran setup wizard http://servername:55000/ (servername is custom). and HEY PRESTO successful loginand software accepted all passwords

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS
    WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY, THIS RESOLVED FOR ME
    I LOVE MY WHS
    • Proposed as answer by OzzieLinden Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:47 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:11 PM
  • I Know im commenting on a dead post.

but is just baffles me that i had this same issue for 3 days, to stumble across this post get the the bottom rdp to my whs set the correct date, time, time zone and BANG! the connector accepts my password.

who would of thought....

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:39 AM
  • *** Here is what resolved it for me ***

After some research I checked the Event Viewer > HomeServer on my WHS and found that the following error was repeated numerous times:

"Failed to issue certificate"

I was able to produce one of these events on the servereverytime I tried to authenticate with the WHS Connector on my client pc. I googled the above message and found that the culprit was a missing MakeCert.exe. This is part of the .NET Framework SDK (SDK not re-destributable). I just copied this exe to C:\Windows\System32 (I found where it was looking for it using Filemon) and everything worked fine for me.

If you do have this exe, there were also some other reports of MakeCert.exe not being able to create the key in a folder. This was not my issue but apparently granting SERVER\Administrators Full Access to the following folder resolved it for them:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:01 AM
  • hi i have run in same issue  but mine more worse it seems

ok i lost the lights to the hard drives i have 4 2TB hard drives in my Acer Aspire Easyhstore H340  computer

they all raided to 1 hard drive  now i hit the reset button on the back of the comp and then waited a bit then ran the server recovery cd from Acer  now it did do it all fine up to the point of after asking to download updates  and thats before asking to post a password  it comes up with an unknown error  so it wont install properly i can access the servers website  but since i have no adminisatrator name or password i cant log in  is there a way to repair this i dont wanna wipte out the hard drives got too much stuff on them,  as the other option says factory defaults and thats going to wipte the whole hard drive i bet

mike

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:04 PM