none
SyncToy 2.1 does not support EFS Encrypted Files Syncronization in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using SyncToy 2.0 for years on a Vista environment to Sync a local EFS encrypted folder to a desktop without encryption. This scenario is supported by the documentation. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and SyncToy 2.1 with a clean install, SyncToy synchronization works fine except for the Encrypted folders which report an error "Error:Unknown error. The specified file could not be encrypted."
    Has this synchronization of encrypted files and folders been lost in Windows 7? It still works in a manual explorer copy with a warning message.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hi -

This is interesting - I believe that SyncToy 2.0 said that we did not support sync;ing files from an encrypted folder so I would not have expected this to work. I suspect this is not working on Windows 7 because of a change we made in the API we use to copy files - so this is SyncToy version specific as opposed to OS specific.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:50 AM
  • StuSF,

Answer: Downgrade to SyncToy 2.0.

I have been using SyncToy 2.0 to synchronize files between an XP Pro file server and my Vista Home Edition 64 laptop.  The files on the server are encrypted and Vista Home edition does not support file encryption so I was forced to sync unencrypted files to the laptop.  SyncToy 2.0 allows this so long as it is running under the User who owns the encryption (in this case I would initialize synchronization from the XP Pro Machine under the Encrypted account).

Example:
    on the XP Pro machine I have two accounts: Administrator (Encrypted), and Bob (Regular/non-encrypted).  If I login and run SyncToy as Bob - the sync will fail.  However, if I login and run SyncToy as Administrator the sync is success - encrypted files are sent to the Vista laptop and encryption is removed without error (and vice versa).

When I upgraded to SyncToy 2.1, it did not allow this functionality and errors out because it is not able to remove or add the encryption accordingly.

Regards
    -James

Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Hey guys, I realize this thread is a few months old, but it is still a current topic so I thought it made sense to post here.

Microsoft implies on the download page for SyncToy v2.1 that it supports synchronization of local files encrypted with EFS to remote locations (e.g. network drives). Here's the download page I'm referring to: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en . I admit it does state this while taking credit for the bug fixes in version 2.0, but in the process implies that those features still work.

However as noted above, it doesn't work. The problem is that I can't find version 2.0 available for download from Microsoft anywhere on their site. I even checked oldversion.com and could not locate a download for v2.0. It seems clear they are trying their best to discourage people from downloading v2.0 (probably because of other bugs). Any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Hey guys, I realize this thread is a few months old, but it is still a current topic so I thought it made sense to post here.

Microsoft implies on the download page for SyncToy v2.1 that it supports synchronization of local files encrypted with EFS to remote locations (e.g. network drives). Here's the download page I'm referring to: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en . I admit it does state this while taking credit for the bug fixes in version 2.0, but in the process implies that those features still work.

However as noted above, it doesn't work. The problem is that I can't find version 2.0 available for download from Microsoft anywhere on their site. I even checked oldversion.com and could not locate a download for v2.0. It seems clear they are trying their best to discourage people from downloading v2.0 (probably because of other bugs). Any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I am also finding that I cannot sync EFS files from an XP Pro SP3 laptop to a Vista x64 computer with SyncToy 2.1.  I've tried both pulling the files using SyncToy on the Vista machine and pushing the files from the XP computer.  I'd like to try SyncToy 2.0 but the only setup I currently have is the Beta version is there a download for 2.0?  Do I need to change anything with 2.1 to get this to work.

I am trying to sync the files from my laptop to my computer so I always have everything in my documents.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Version 2.1 wants to encrypt the files in the destination folder.  You must log in to both computers and encrypt both folders that make up the pair.  Or if you're on a domain you can use delegation to let the system of the other computer encrypt the folders for you.

I believe that Version 2.0 does not re-encrypt the folders at the networked destination.

It would be nice to have a selection so that laptops can be encrypted but the data they sync to another computer does not have to be encrypted.

• Proposed as answer by D I V Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by D I V Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by D I V Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:33 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 5:56 PM