WHS stopped letting me share files RRS feed

• Question

• We have at least 4 compters on our network.  Let's start by calling WHS #1, #2 and #3 are Windows 7 machines and #4 is an old laptop.  About a week ago #1 (WHS) started exuding green slime (really) from its power supply.  I figured this was a fire hazzard and decided to shut it down.  However, my wife and I using #2 and #3 as our main machines needed to share files that had been on #1.  So, while I ordered and waited for shipment of a new power supply for #1, I took a few important files that had been on #1 and put them on #2 and set up sharing between #2 and #3 so we could operate while I waited for shipment of the new power supply.  Today it arrived, and I put it in #1 and expected that I could go  back to normal operation.  However, now neither #2 or #3 can share files on the WHS (#1).  We are asked for our id and pw (which I know) but not allowed to share any longer on WHS.  Actually, there is a #4.  This machine was not involved in anything during this time.  It can still access the WHS files.  I'm thinking that somehow I enabled some kind of Windows 7 networking that is incompatible with WHS when I enabled sharing between #2 and #3.  So, WHS on number 1 is working, but not usable.  Please, anybody out there with any ideas?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:58 PM

All replies

• Turn off "Homegroup" on your Win 7 machines, reboot all.  Homegroup sharing over rides WHS sharing.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

We have at least 4 compters on our network. Let's start by calling WHS #1, #2 and #3 are Windows 7 machines and #4 is an old laptop. About a week ago #1 (WHS) started exuding green slime (really) from its power supply. I figured this was a fire hazzard and decided to shut it down. However, my wife and I using #2 and #3 as our main machines needed to share files that had been on #1. So, while I ordered and waited for shipment of a new power supply for #1, I took a few important files that had been on #1 and put them on #2 and set up sharing between #2 and #3 so we could operate while I waited for shipment of the new power supply. Today it arrived, and I put it in #1 and expected that I could go back to normal operation. However, now neither #2 or #3 can share files on the WHS (#1). We are asked for our id and pw (which I know) but not allowed to share any longer on WHS. Actually, there is a #4. This machine was not involved in anything during this time. It can still access the WHS files. I'm thinking that somehow I enabled some kind of Windows 7 networking that is incompatible with WHS when I enabled sharing between #2 and #3. So, WHS on number 1 is working, but not usable. Please, anybody out there with any ideas?

BullDawg
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:01 AM
  • OK BullDawg, I like to do that, but can you tell me how?

I tried a few things but so far nothing has worked

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Control Panel, then Homegroup.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

OK BullDawg, I like to do that, but can you tell me how?

I tried a few things but so far nothing has worked

BullDawg
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:40 PM