not genuine - why now and will my data be lost if genuine is purchased RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using this computer successfully for almost 2 years with no NOT GENUINE notices.  About 2 weeks ago my first notice surfaced ... why now?????

Also if I do purchase genuine office s'ware what happens to the dta and information when the software is swapped out.  I cannot afford to lose it.  Would be disaster.  How do I transition

NEED HELP pls.

THX

Friday, June 4, 2010 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hello frankperi,

You wrote, "what happens to the dta and information when the software is swapped out.  I cannot afford to lose it.  Would be disaster."

Data that is not properly backed up is already a disaster!  With all of the options available today (online backups, external backups, one click backups, etc) there is no excuse for losing one byte of data.  Your data should be backed up by a regular, dependable, and occasionally proofed backup system or plan.  And, before you make any major change to your computer, you should back up anything that you cannot afford to lose.

Now that I am off my soapbox, the answer to your question is, "Normally, the process of uninstalling then reinstalling Office does not in any way delete or alter any of the data that is on your computer." 

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, June 4, 2010 1:27 PM