Restoring to smaller drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I upgraded my hard drive on my laptop to an SSD and I am attempting to do a full system restore.  I inserted the boot disk after formatting the drive with my Windows 7 32-bit DVD.  When choosing volumes to restore, the boot disk will not let me restore to the smaller HDD because it is smaller than the previous HDD.  Volume 2 shows as the entire 305GB of my original drive, not the size of the backup which is only about 60GB.  I can't get past this screen.  Is there any way to do what I am trying to do here?  Thanks in advance,

Steve

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:48 PM

All replies

• You could possibly shrink the partition currently on the laptop so it will fit on your SSD, then back it up (after reconfiguring backups), then restore it. Or you could use disk cloning software to copy the partition to the SSD, then reconfigure backups on the SSD and you would be good to go.

In general, though, Windows Home Server's backup and restore functionality isn't designed to support hardware migrations, and doesn't normally allow you to restore a partition to a disk that's significantly smaller than the partition itself was originally. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:49 PM
  • If you do not have a problem with more work involved, the FAQ How to archive a Client PC Backup from Windows Home Server Backup could be interesting as another workaround. But Kens method (shring volume, back up, restore) should be easier in most cases.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:06 PM