Set up lookup value RRS feed

• Question

• I have a text field speaker, and another lookup field speakercontact

When I enter the name in speaker(text field) and save, that value should be populated in the speaker contact lookup field

How to do this?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:17 PM

All replies

• Can you better define what gets entered in the text field? It sounds like you want to enter the text equivalent of the look up field and then have it populate the actual look up. If the text of both fields is going to match, why not just use the only the look up?

But if if they are not going to match exactly, I think you need to define how the value of the text field will find a unique 'speakercontact' record. 

Generally speaking a plugin would be a good approach for something like this.

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:28 PM
  • The text field entered can be "Dan Patrick". The users are not going to enter the lookup field, only the text field.

User enter "Dan Patrick" in the textfield. The speakercontact is a contact lookup, so the "Dan" goes to first name and "Patrick" to last name.

• Edited by Nandhini12 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

Write plugin to read the the text box value and retrieve the contact record based on fullname and populate the speakercontact lookup field.

HTH,

• Proposed as answer by _Vikram Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:00 PM
    • Edited by _Vikram Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:00 PM
  • The best way to achieve this is you can directly go & fill names in lookup. CRM 201 lookups are designed to autopopulate matching reecords. If this is behaviour is not as per your requirement, you can try below workaround.

If you just want to fill the lookup using your test field, instead of saving the record, you can hit the OData service on text field change, get the contact info & fill your lookup.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:49 AM