How to permanently remove one computer from the circle?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I have several computers on the circle but I want my personal computer out of the circle yet I don't want to uninstall One Care again. My personal computer has tons of delicate information and files and I obviously don't want my employees looking or downloading my files. I just reinstalled One Care and I haven't clicked that I want to make it a hub PC but I still get messages from my cirlce.

A message just popped up on my personal computer asking if I wanted to share my wife's computer's printer? (Which is also on the circle)

Do I need to buy ANOTHER 3 PC subscription just so I can take my computer out of the circle?

Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

• Being part of a Circle does not grant rights to other computers in the Circle to browse or access your files. You will receive prompts about available printers from other computers that are sharing printers and are activated with the same LiveID. You can go to Change Settings, Printer Sharing and uncheck the option for your PC to share printers (and do the same on the other PCs in your Circle - at each PC) if desired.

If you have not shared files or folders on your PC, no other PCs will have access to those files, even if they are in your Circle.

Making the PC a hub simply provides you the option to monitor the other 2 computers in your subscription to make sure that there are no problems with OneCare such as firewall or antivirus turned off, tune-up not run, etc. It does not open up your PC to intrusion from the PCs you are monitoring.

You can open OneCare, click on the Advanced Firewall tab, and under ports and protocols, uncheck File and Printer sharing and it will block all sharing, even if you configured a Share on your PC.

-steve

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:23 PM

All replies

• Being part of a Circle does not grant rights to other computers in the Circle to browse or access your files. You will receive prompts about available printers from other computers that are sharing printers and are activated with the same LiveID. You can go to Change Settings, Printer Sharing and uncheck the option for your PC to share printers (and do the same on the other PCs in your Circle - at each PC) if desired.

If you have not shared files or folders on your PC, no other PCs will have access to those files, even if they are in your Circle.

Making the PC a hub simply provides you the option to monitor the other 2 computers in your subscription to make sure that there are no problems with OneCare such as firewall or antivirus turned off, tune-up not run, etc. It does not open up your PC to intrusion from the PCs you are monitoring.

You can open OneCare, click on the Advanced Firewall tab, and under ports and protocols, uncheck File and Printer sharing and it will block all sharing, even if you configured a Share on your PC.

-steve

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:23 PM
  • I am spending just tons of (wasted) time trying to "manage the managing" of the new Windows Onecare 'Circle' feature. Don't you know the old "Don't fix what ain't broke!"

We have 3 computer in our little office and two printers (HP9800 and Canon MP530). Both printers are constantly being lost and the ability to print is gone. This leads to time wasted. Time wasted.Time wasted.Time wasted.Time wasted.Time wasted. You get the idea?

The new 'Circle' feature does not work in a simple seamless behind the scenes fashion.  Can you help me (directly, remotely, by phone any way possible)? 

If I can not trust this feature, and can not correct it or remove it, I do not want to use Onecare.

Can I disable this 'Circle' and run Onecare independently on my computers?  I really need to get back to MY work so I guess I will need to just manage the network the way I used to do it.

Bottom line is - Are you trying to drive me back to Norton or what?  I used to have no problem with Onecare for antivirus and the other basic stuff, but due to my problems I'm now looking for the best Norton Systemworks ad.  If me and a millions others are having the same problem that would be a sad state of affairs for your Onecare team.

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:03 AM
  •  Gary Beck wrote:

I am spending just tons of (wasted) time trying to "manage the managing" of the new Windows Onecare 'Circle' feature. Don't you know the old "Don't fix what ain't broke!"

We have 3 computer in our little office and two printers (HP9800 and Canon MP530). Both printers are constantly being lost and the ability to print is gone. This leads to time wasted. Time wasted.Time wasted.Time wasted.Time wasted.Time wasted. You get the idea?

The new 'Circle' feature does not work in a simple seamless behind the scenes fashion.  Can you help me (directly, remotely, by phone any way possible)? 

If I can not trust this feature, and can not correct it or remove it, I do not want to use Onecare.

Can I disable this 'Circle' and run Onecare independently on my computers?  I really need to get back to MY work so I guess I will need to just manage the network the way I used to do it.

Bottom line is - Are you trying to drive me back to Norton or what?  I used to have no problem with Onecare for antivirus and the other basic stuff, but due to my problems I'm now looking for the best Norton Systemworks ad.  If me and a millions others are having the same problem that would be a sad state of affairs for your Onecare team.

You do not need to use the Circle features of OneCare.

Your problem would seem to be with the firewall and configuring it to allow File and Printer sharing over your network. Are the printers attached to PCs in the office or are they attached to a Print Server? If it is the former, open OneCare on each PC in the office and click on Change Settings. On the Firewall tab, click configure network. Make sure it shows only one network and that it is configured as "Home or Work." On the Advanced section go to Ports and Protocols and place a check mark next to both items for File and Printer Sharing and it should work.

If you need help, support is available -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:35 AM