none
Cloud computing, Microsoft technologies - any certification ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Could someone suggest a suitable certification related to cloud computing(Microsoft technologies). I know C#, .NET 2.0, SQL Server 2005.

Thank you.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Cloud computing certification is not a stand alone certification (yet). But you can start here:

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseDetail.aspx?courseId=168190&tab=overview

and look from there which options also suit your needs. This clinic fits your SQL knowledge. The magic word will be Azure what you are looking for.

Maurice

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Dear Forum Member,

Thanks for the response.

How to take the next step for this clinic - any specific book, or just the online content(link for free content on that page) is good enough. 

Does the clinic culminate in anything formal, in terms of acceptability to employers ?

N2010.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

This is indeed free content (just check the box). It's online courseware. These courses don't lead to anything formal but give you basic skills to dive deeper into what you are finally after. Certification is a powerful tool but experience is one of the best credentials you can have. An employer expects you to do things and it's up to you to make it happen. In the process of investigating the various courses you'll find out which certification will fit the needs. Looking at your background i'd say SQL 2008 and Azure would be good starting places to go first.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2

For programming databases in the cloud consider the visual studio path as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2

Maurice

Friday, September 17, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

You seem to suggest that "ability to do" is a necessary aspect/more imp, which is reasonable. 

But, I've a non-IT background. My IT skills are mainly self developed, and as of now I'm not certified. In a few job applications I had sent, I did describe my skills in detail. I can do much more, when required, as I did earlier, but I've seen some reluctance at the other end. Hence, I thought about certifications, esp, if possible in something new and upcoming. 

Are you open to suggesting some companies(US, Europe etc; for non-citizen applicants) who might be open to accepting the skills without certification(s), and giving the option of getting these certified later, along with the job and as required ? If yes, I can send the details of my skills. If no, it's fine.

Thanks.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

I did tell you about hands on experience being more important than certification. However many companies require certification as a prove of skills. In this case you'll find that a lot of companies first look at resumes and see that the candidate is not certified. That can lead to a first shift of people not qualified for the job. My advice to those people is to rewrite the resume and tell them about yourself and your capabilities for that specific job. You can tell employers that you are in the process of certification and that you would like to discuss which certification they are after and for what reason (ofcourse without doubting there abilities!).

People making a shift from a non it background to the it often have this case of not having the apropriate certification. In that case you'll find yourself first looking for a couple of questions you need to answer:

1. What goal am i pursuing

2. What is needed for the job i am after

3. Which certification is most accepted and will give me the most oppurtunities for a job i like.

In the latter case you'll find some certifications are more accepted as others. Your SQL background is a good place to start because the SQL certifications are widely accepted. To keep upt to date go for 2008 certification. In this case my advice would be not to focus on cloud computing alone but go for SQL 2008 certification and VS2010 certification. When you have one of both you'll see that employers are more willing to listen to your store than telling them you are good hands on but don't have certifications yet. Always tell people that your are in the process of getting certified. So prepare by looking at te prerequisites and do your homework.

Unfortunately i don't see a lot of companies who will hire people without certifications that's the harsh truth. All the more reason the get started.

So don't give up yet and tell yourself you can do this. I know because i also come from a non it backgorund and started 15 years ago with teaching Microsoft Office courses and taught myself VS and SQL and did very much of this in my spare time. All with the idea of investing in myself.

Maurice 

Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and a useful reply.

It was nice interacting with you. Shall get in touch if there's more to ask.

Bye.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

This should be out soon.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-583&Locale=en-us

Hope this helps,

Ozzy Geoff

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:20 PM