Windows Home Server Updates Failed RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a "WHS updates are ready" message in my Network Health window, but when I click the install updates button, after a few seconds I get a "WHS updates installation can not complete. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart the server". After multiple restarts, no change.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:32 AM

Answers

• Please check, which update causes the trouble (should be found in the event log or in C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log on the server).
    Eventually you can try to download that specific update and install it manually.
    Or you run the Windows Update Website, instead of Automatic downloads select the manual selection and hide the update, which always fails.
    But if this is recommended or not, depends from the failing upgrade.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you will need to check the event viewer of the server to see, which update failed.
    You now can try to download that as file from Microsofts website and install it manually after logging in locally on your server, or you can try to perform following actions on the server desktop:
    In Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools stop the service Automatic Updates.
    In C:\Windows delete the folder SoftwareDistribution.
    Restart the service Automatic Updates.
    Try to update via console again.

Olaf

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Hi Olaf,
    I tried both your suggestions above.
    1. I found no events in the event log on my server regarding updates.
    2. I stopped the service, deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder, restarted the service.

I no longer have the message that updates are ready to install, but when I click the Update Now button in Settings, I get the same message. Perhaps this is normal?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:22 PM
  • No, this is not normal.
    You can login to your home server and try to run Windows Update from Start/All Programs or within Internet Explorer.
    Try to figure out, which is the upgrade the system is complaining about.
    Best greetings from Gemany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:35 PM
  • I was having the same error, then I tried going to windowsupdate.com in internet explorer, logged on to my WHS via remote desktop.  The update service would not run. It told me to check that 3 services were correctly configured and running

1) Automatic update service startup type should be set to automatic.
    2) Background intelligent transfer service should be set to manual.
    3) Event Log service should be set to automatic.

If any of the above services are not running, press the start button for that service and ensure the service starts.

I did this, and was able to once again run Windows Update.

Hope this works for you.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:52 AM
  • No, this is not normal.
    You can login to your home server and try to run Windows Update from Start/All Programs or within Internet Explorer.
    Try to figure out, which is the upgrade the system is complaining about.
    Best greetings from Gemany
    Olaf
    I have this problem as well and I was wondering how you determine what update the system is complaining about?  I followed the steps you outlined above
    "In Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools stop the service Automatic Updates.
    In C:\Windows delete the folder SoftwareDistribution.
    Restart the service Automatic Updates.
    Try to update via console again."
    This will give me the same error pop up, but the network health indicator on my WHS goes back to green.  However, overnight when the automatic update runs, it gives me the same error again, and I have to repeat the steps.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Please check, which update causes the trouble (should be found in the event log or in C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log on the server).
    Eventually you can try to download that specific update and install it manually.
    Or you run the Windows Update Website, instead of Automatic downloads select the manual selection and hide the update, which always fails.
    But if this is recommended or not, depends from the failing upgrade.
    Olaf
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:03 PM