Slow chkdsk on WHS drives RRS feed

• Question

• Backing up a couple of clients to my WHS (1.0) worked ok, but Database Cleanup seemed to hang with no clear reason why. I decided to chkdsk all the server drives according to this advide: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

The chkdsk commands were issued in paraller. Most of them were finished within hours (I have seven drives in WHS, 500GB-2TB in size), but one of the chkdsk commands took about three or four days to finish! After it finally finished, I rebooted the server and checked the event log. None of the errors there seem to point to the drive which took ages to chkdsk. WHS shows all the drives as healthy. I started manually the database cleanup once again. I don't think I can trust the server, even if the cleanup goes through successfully. Any ideas how to proceed? The only thing I can think of is to take away the drives one by one and format & test them to see if the manufacturer diagnosis application finds one of them to be faulty.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:01 PM

All replies

• Bit of update: Cleanup completed successfully. Took six hours. WHS still thinks that drives are healthy, and client backups are running fine.

Any suggestions whether to trust the system or go on looking for a reason for the dead slow chkdsk process? Run chkdsk for all the drives again? Remove/add drives one by one, formatting & testing them to catch any faulty ones? Or just monitor WHS frequently to notice whether it reports about unhealthy drives?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:40 AM