How to backup WHS on multiple spare drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a 3TB WHS (HP ex485), is there a way to backup the full WHS on multiple spare hard drives (I have 6 empty drives of 500GB)? how do you do that?

thanks

w

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:10 AM

All replies

• One share at a time. You can't back up only part of a share, so you will need at least one drive as large as, or larger than, your largest share, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Pity nobody is creating a backup that span on multiple drives has when floppy were still around.

"Insert a new hard drive to continue backup...." ;)

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:44 AM
  • wil70,   

Have you tried a back-up? 

Based on your comments, I don't think so.  Once you select which shares go to which back-up drives, the process is pretty much automated.  Just make sure to select "save selections" for the next time.  I have an eleven drive system  3 drives are in the back-up pool and are labeled SBU1, SBU2, and SBU3.  They are three WDEARS20 2 TB drives.  There are 7 storage pool drives of various sizes and types (IDE, SATA) that total 6.66 TB with duplication on for all shares.  I have one SATA 1 TB not part of the storage pool that is used for various, in MS's view, "unsupported" activities that do not play well with the storage pool drives.

Once I start the server back-up in the WHS Console Computers Tab, the drive selections come up.  Since I opted to save, I just hit "Start" and the process starts with SBU1, then automatically goes to SBU2, then SBU3 to completion.  The first back-up took quite a few hours; I started it at bed time but had not completed when I awoke or left for work.  It had completed when I came home.  Subsequent back-ups usually take less than an hour.  The backup drives are in hot swappable trays which makes it easy to rotate them off site.  The server back-ups are nightly, but the rotation is weekly as I maintain two households in two cities about 100 miles apart due to my job.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Pity nobody is creating a backup that span on multiple drives has when floppy were still around.

"Insert a new hard drive to continue backup...." ;)

BullDawg
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:01 AM