WHS Backup errors reading or writing from computer's hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• My recently built server has completed around half a dozen backups of my desktop PC successfully with no errors. I started then getting backup failures with the error "An error occurred reading from or writing to the computer's hard drive D:" (note: D: is the data drive in the PC)

I've run chkdsk on both the C and D drives but doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have managed to manually complete one backup since the errors started but there have also been errors since the backup that was good. 

The server has 220+ GB free space so that's not an issue. The PC (XP) has over 200GB free on each of the drives and is connected via ethernet.  My Vista laptop has completed backups wirelessly with no issues.

Anything I should look for?

Thanks
    Ross
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Ross,
    please check the event log of your client for more error messages and warnings in the system and application log.
    Do you get such errors also, if you leave drive D: out of the backup (in the console, click the computer and select Configure Backup, unselect drive D:)?
    Which label has your D: drive on the client?
    It should not have the label DATA, at least I have seen issues caused by this.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:29 PM