How far can MSMoney file grow?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody!

I've being using MSMoney since 2008 to control all of mine and my wife's accounts (bank, savings, credit, investiments,...). Nowadays, I have over 15 accounts on MSMoney.

It always worked fine for me, and I 've being very pleased with MSMoney. I am using the MSMoney Plus Deluxe nowadays running on a Windows 8.1 desktop.

My MSMoney file grew up to 17M.

Recently MSMoney started to present strange behaviors, like not allowing new transactions to be entered, not importing QIF files, etc..., and it requires the MSMoney file to be repaired almost everytime I use MSMoney (I update my account twice a month). Once the file is repaired, MSMoney works normally.

I am very worried about it, as I can't loose my financial history, and, also, I am worried about Microsoft no longer supporting it.

Some questions:

-Is anybody facing issues similar to these?

-How big can a MSMoney file be?

-Does Quicken deserves a try?

Thanks everybody!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:21 PM

All replies

• My Money file has been going since 1997 and is twice the size of yours. It carries a total of 56 accounts of all types (including closed ones) and I have no problems at all, especially since I started using Dan Gaier's  new add-on for updating stock and shares. My guess is that my file is probably not the biggest there is - so yours should be OK
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:37 PM
  • I agree with Clacksman that a large file size is not the cause of your problem.  I have a 45Mb file and Money runs with no problems.  Generally I find that Money is quite robust.  I have had blue screen crashes with Money open and, upon restarting, the Money file was fine.

I do suggest that you be very careful to keep multiple backups of your Money file and be sure that at least one is on an external media (DVD, flash drive, etc.) in case something in your system besides Money itself is corrupting the file.

Are you using Quick File Repair?  If so, it might be worthwhile to try experimenting with Standard File Repair.  Be aware that this will reset all of your customized reports.

I would also try uninstalling Money and re-installing.

If none of this helps, post back.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Mine is 182,816,768 bytes.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:09 AM
  • Bill:

Thanks for the info. It looks like I can keep on with MSMoney.

I was using the quick file repair the file but usually the problem returned on the next usage. Last time the problem happen I did a Standard Repair and, so far so good.

When digging for info about this, I found out that there is a patched version of the mnyob99.dll. Did you update your dll??

Regards!

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. It's good the know that the size should no be a problem.

Regards!

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:26 AM
  • Wow!! It is really impressive. I should "Report as abuse" :-))
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:27 AM
  • Yes, I updated my mnyob99.dll although it does not seem to be necessary for Windows 7 or 8, just XP.  However the problem that it fixes was introduced by a Windows Update and it's certainly possible that a future update could necessitate the replacement.  So I see it as a preventative measure.

Glad to hear that Money is behaving for you so far.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Friday, May 23, 2014 12:54 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Bill: I will get a copy of the dll and update mine. Thanks a lot, buddy!!

Regards!

Friday, May 23, 2014 12:13 AM
  • Your problem shouldn't be due to the size.  Mine is ten times the size of yours (171M) and I have no problems at all.  Follow the repair suggestions that others have made.

Ron

Friday, May 30, 2014 9:58 PM