How can I install connector on Windows Server 2003? RRS feed

• Question

• I know Windows Server 2003 is not one of the supported operating systems, but I still like to install my WHS 2011 connector on that and backup my server on WHS 2011.

I know I saw a post a while back that had instructions for some changes I could make in registry or something else to be able to install the connector on Win 2003. But I can not find that post anymore.

Does anybody know how I can do that?

Thanks in advance,

Bahmanj

BJ

• Edited by Bahmanj Monday, October 10, 2011 5:04 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:48 PM

All replies

• There is, as far as I know, no way to force the V2 connector to install on a server OS. There was a way to force the issue for Windows Home Server V1, but (as you note) it was in no way supported or recommended.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 10, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Thanks Ken for reply.

From what I remmeber, WHS V1 connector actually had no problem installing on Server OSes even though it was not supported. But WHS 2011 does not even gets installed. I am sure I saw a post that showed how it could be installed...I was hoping somebody else has seen that post too or knows how it can be done..

Regards,

BJ

BJ
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:23 PM
  • One possible alternative is to use CrashPlan to back up your Windows Server 2003 system to your WHS 2011 system. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crashplan it supports Windows Server 2003 and 2008, so it might work.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Hi, Bahmanj

Only following kinds of clients are supported by connector.

Windows 7 operating system (all editions)

Windows Vista operating system with Service Pack 2 (SP2) (including all 32-bit and 64-bit editions)

Windows XP operating system with Service Pack 3 (SP3) (including Tablet PC and Media Center editions)

Best Regards,

Junyong

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:43 AM