Can Manually Backup, but Cannot Configure Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Using the Computers & Backup page of the Server Console, when I right click on my Homeserver PC, 

View Backups
     Backup Now

are active, but

Configure Backup
      Remove Computer
      Turn On Backups

are inactive.

I was able to use Backup Now to back up the server, but I cannot automate the back up. Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:20 AM

Answers

• This is normal behavior, the backup of the shared folders of the server cannot be performed automatically via console.
    That design decision has been made by Microsoft and makes sense due to the amount of data stored in several shares and the fact, that you should disconnect the disk after completing the backup. (It would not be of great help, if the overvoltage, which just toasted your home servers disks would do the same with the attached backup drives.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:24 AM

All replies

• This is normal behavior, the backup of the shared folders of the server cannot be performed automatically via console.
    That design decision has been made by Microsoft and makes sense due to the amount of data stored in several shares and the fact, that you should disconnect the disk after completing the backup. (It would not be of great help, if the overvoltage, which just toasted your home servers disks would do the same with the attached backup drives.)
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Olaf:

Thanks for the reply. I guess that kinda/sorta makes sense although I think the same logic could be applied to the duplication disk. I just wish the help files were more clear on this point before I invested days in my madcap overly complex automated backup plan.

I guess the solution is to have two Home Servers to have a central storage / automatic backup system for my two workstations.

Mike
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    I don't think, that you need two servers. If something is powerfull enough to destroy one server, the second would usually also not stay unaffected. A few external harddisk as target for backup operations of the server (with at least one set stored offsite) or a manual set up and scheduled script, which copies the latest version of changed files from shares to another network location (which could also a second disk in a client PC, which is excluded from backups), would cover the less serious disasters relatively well (besides a total loss of the IT equipment in your home).

Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:23 PM