Noob questions: RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 arrives tomorrow.  However, if someone can answer this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I'm running Win7x64 Home Premium on 5 PCs.  Will using WHS 2011 on my file server allow me to manage other "clients" as well via its Management Console?

2. I understand that WHS 2011 doesn't like 3TB drives.  Unfortunately, all 6 drives attached to my file server are 3TB.  I believe there's a way to add them without breaking them in two parts, but WHS 2011 will not back them up.  However, will it allow me to back up my other PCs with smaller than 2TB drives to the 3TB drives?

Sunday, October 2, 2011 11:46 PM

All replies

1. You "manage" computers much as you always have. Windows Home Server centralizes a bit of data collection, and sends out alerts about some things, but the actual management is still on the client.
    2. You can use 3 TB drives as a single drive if you pre-partition them using GPT. Doing so has consequences, as you've noted. You can back up your clients no matter what size drive your backup database is on, assuming you don't exceed the storage capacity of that drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 3, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Ken, thanks.  I'm not familiar with WHS v1 or 2011.  So, when you state managing your clients the same way as I always have...right now I'm using RAAdmin to remotely manage my other PCs (it's a type of VNC).  I understand that I will need to install the management console on all the machines in the house so I can manage the WHS - but will doing that allow me to manage another client from another client?  In other words...

My setup - 

#1 HTPC

#2 Boys' PC

#3 Main PC (mine)

#4 File Server (what WHS 2011 is going on)

#5 Wife's laptop

I'd like to log in to #1 and #2 from #3 (my PC) in addition to managing #4 from #3.

Also, I'm looking for a replacement to Drive Extender but everything I've found is in closed beta - any suggestions?

Monday, October 3, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Managing computers: whatever you use today should be fine. Windows Home Server will collect some client health information and raise alerts if anything is out of expected/desired parameters, but Microsoft expects you to deal with the actual issues the way you always have, for the most part. The parameters themselves aren't adjustable, and the data collected is pretty basic: has the computer got working AV? Has a backup occurred recently? etc.

Drive Extender replacement: I suggest people move on. Drive Extender provided two functions: it allowed a user to expand storage without worrying about the size of disks, where data went, etc., and it allowed users to designate that certain shares be duplicated. The first function was one of the best things about V1, but server backup is in any case unable to back up more than 2 TB of data due to limitations inherited from the underlying backup engine, so if you build a huge storage pool you can't preserve your data. The second function was a software equivalent to RAID1, and RAID is a high data availability tool, not a data protection tool. For data protection you really want an off-site backup, and in the consumer space nothing beats sneakernet (carrying a disk off site regularly).

Monday, October 3, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Ken,

Re:  "...The first function was one of the best things about V1, but server backup is in any case unable to back up more than 2 TB of data due to limitations inherited from the underlying backup engine, so if you build a huge storage pool you can't preserve your data..."

Maybe I am misreading your comments, but v1 does allow backing up more than 2 TB.  I have four 2 TB drives in my server backup pool.  Once you choose which destination backup drive holds which server folder, tick "remember settings for future backups."  It does require a little planning to distribute the server shared folders across the backup drives to ensure you do not exceed available free space on each backup drive, but once set up and settings are remembered, backup is quite simple.  All this is accomplished through the WHS Console.

If the 2 TB backup limitation you are referring to is for WHS2011, then I concur.  That is the reason I abandoned WHS2011 for production (still test though) and went back to v1.  Please clarify the 2 TB limitation you refer to is for WHS2011 and not v1.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Managing computers: whatever you use today should be fine. Windows Home Server will collect some client health information and raise alerts if anything is out of expected/desired parameters, but Microsoft expects you to deal with the actual issues the way you always have, for the most part. The parameters themselves aren't adjustable, and the data collected is pretty basic: has the computer got working AV? Has a backup occurred recently? etc.

Drive Extender replacement: I suggest people move on. Drive Extender provided two functions: it allowed a user to expand storage without worrying about the size of disks, where data went, etc., and it allowed users to designate that certain shares be duplicated. The first function was one of the best things about V1, but server backup is in any case unable to back up more than 2 TB of data due to limitations inherited from the underlying backup engine, so if you build a huge storage pool you can't preserve your data. The second function was a software equivalent to RAID1, and RAID is a high data availability tool, not a data protection tool. For data protection you really want an off-site backup, and in the consumer space nothing beats sneakernet (carrying a disk off site regularly).

BullDawg
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:11 PM
  • This is a forum for Windows Home Server 2011, Bulldawg. Why would I be talking about the backup capabilities of V1?
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Because this is what you wrote:

"The first function was one of the best things about V1, but server backup is in any case unable to back up more than 2 TB of data..."

I interpreted the above to state you were saying v1 server backup was limited to 2 TB.  That's why I wrote what I did.  Perhaps I misunderstood, but what I heard is most likely not what you meant for me to hear.  Anyway, I think (not putting words in your mouth) we both agree that v1 is not limited, but WHS2011 is limited to 2TB for server backups.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:37 AM