Convert problem - Money 2000 file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I use Money 2000 Canadian edition since purchase.

I downloaded the international version of Money 2005 (Money2005-IntlEngl-QFE2) found on a post here. It accepted the password for my file but then said, "Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version".

I also tried using the Sunset edition but had the same result. 

Does anyone know a way to do this without exporting my 25 or so individual accounts and multiple currencies?

Thanks  

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:44 AM

All replies

• The way to convert to Sunset is explained in the second post in this forum:

Some US users of Money 98 ... Money 2003 may have to use an additional step, described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us , of first installing a verson of US Money 2004 or 2005 to perform a file conversion before installing Money Plus Sunset. Here is a link to a minimally functional version of US Money 2005 (filename webinst.exe) that can be used for conversions: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/B/7/DB72D4E0-FBD1-4B76-BFA0-1FF20F6AEC8D/M12USWEB.exe
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Thx for the info Dominic.

I managed to qif all 63 accounts from Canadian Money 2000.

I tried to file link you provided but it doesn't work so i couldn't read about the additional step of some users.

i did download a trial version of Money 2004 and loaded it on a Windows 10 machine.

From my Win 8.1 i exported my accounts and then imported them to Money 2004. The balances in many cases are wrong so I will have to review them individually (outside of Money 2004 because it won't let me edit the transactions).

My next steps seem to be: 1) uninstall Money 2004, 2) install Sunset on the Win 10 machine, 3) try to open the mny file from Money 2004 in Sunset (however I am unfamiliar with the differences between Money Plus, Deluxe, Sunset - so choosing the right one is tricky), 4) fix the balances.

I have still some concerns: a) How to import loans, b) how to import favorite reports, c) if my 3 steps above will actually work.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tom 

Sunday, February 25, 2018 9:52 AM
  • If Sunset will not import your Canadian Money 2000 directly, you should install US Money 2004 or 2005 and import your Money 2000 file to that, then install Sunset and import the converted Money 2004 or 2005 file to Sunset.

There are only Sunset Deluxe and Sunset Home and Business. Deluxe is the usual version for personal use.

When you exported your Money 2000 data, did you reopen any closed accounts so that you could export them? If not, transactions in those accounts will be missing from the new data file(s).

On import, did you import all the qif files at once so that links would be recreated?

If you are recreating a data file from qif imports, reports and any other settings will have to set up manually.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 11:08 AM
  • Yes, i opened all closed files. I imported all the qif files together.

i imported to M2004 the qif files created by M2000. I will install Sunset and try to load the mny file created by M2004.

If that doesn't work i will import the M2000 qif files to Sunset.

If that doesn't work I will reinstall M2004 and export qif files and import them into Sunset.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Have you tried opening and converting your Money 2000 data file in Money 2004?

If you still have your Money 2000 installation disk that should install and run in all Windows versions up to and including Windows 10.
    Just be sure that your Money data file is in your Windows User account, not the Money default Program Files (x86) area.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Note that if you have a *.mn8 file after doing a conversion attempt, it is a copy of a Money 2000 file as it existed before the conversion attempt. You may want to use that as a starting point for further conversion attempts.

Keep copies of your original file on other media in case a problem develops.

Do you have your Money 2000 installation disk? Maybe installing Money 2000 on the new computer would work, after uninstalling your other versions.
    Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:33 PM
  • No i don't have the M2000 CD.

I tried opening M2000 file in M2004 but it said it was created by another version.

Could I not import to Sunset the qif files i created with M2000 ?

Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Yes. You can import the M2000 qif files directly to Sunset.
    Import them all together - select all of them when asked which to import.

If you still have the Money 2000 installation, what version of Money do you have? It should be in the form 8.x.x.x.

There are (rare) cases where the version of Money in use is not the correct one for the region.
    Is there any chance you acquired your copy of Money from outside North America? If so, which regional version might it be?

Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:05 PM
  •  ======doing the QIF thing========

When you choose a filename for an investment account, I suggest that you
    make the first character of the filename to be a number.
    Start the filename of other accouts with a letter.   Thus you might have
    1BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Once you have all of the QIF files saved, that will be an milestone. Review the filenames to make sure they are meaningful. When you import the files all at once, they will be brought in in alphanumeric (number first) order.

Copy the QIF files to the new computer.
    Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked. The reason for the all-at-once
    thing is to allow Money to recognize transfers, and to allow investment transactions
    to match up to the cash account entry.

There are things that will not come across, but you will have a clean file.
    You may have to adjust balance. Stock symbols will not come across.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:10 PM
  • The Money 2000 is Standard Edition Version 8.0 I recall the CD saying it was Canadian so I am confident of that.

I have followed the procedure you have described regarding investment accounts.  During the import, it was a bit confusing. M2004 asked me to assign 2 types of files when I was only expecting 1 type. The types were : investment (cash) and investment (contributions). Possibly the term contributions was created by myself when i first set up M2000 long ago...

Indeed, saving those 63 files felt like a milestone ! I breathed a big sigh of relief when done.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:26 PM
  • Contributions is what the Cash account is called for a tax-deferred account such as an ISA/IRA.

You could have gone directly to Sunset.

Note that Sunset does need the patch as described in the first (sticky) post in the forum. There may be no initial symptoms of not having the patch. The symptoms from not having the patch change as Windows gets updated.

Sunset has some nice features, and my favorite is the multiple-backups. Here is some info on that:

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _8_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _14_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _5_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to other media.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
    Postpone.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:37 PM
  • The conversion of many transaction from one currency to another did not work correctly.

I have an account in Euro and one in GBP. Both accounts are set to their respective currencies. For one of the transfers from Euro to GBP it shows an entry in the GBP account in Euros with the Euro currency icon. I have tried to change it in both accounts using the currency convertor, F8, but it still shows up as a Euro. It wants to convert to CAD instead of Euro. I don't understand why.

BTW, is a Money Plus file compatible with the Small Business edition of Sunset? Or do qif files have to be imported to work in the SBE ?

thanks 

Monday, February 26, 2018 2:21 AM
  • Regarding currency, here are some notes which may or may not help:

Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings->UpdateCurrencies, and in the
    list, make sure the entry for CAN dollar says BASE in the ExhangeRate column.

Portfolio->Change portfolio settings and be sure Portfolio Currency is shown as "CAN dollar".

In Windows, Start->Control Panel->RegionalSettings (or Regional and Language Options)

For the Account Settings for each account, make sure the Currency is listed as "CAN dollar" if appropriate.

You will need to experiment.

A Money Plus file is compatible with the Small Business edition of Sunset. Business adds invoicing, and probably some other things. It requires a category for all transactions.

You can go back the other way, but expect a warning that the non-business features will not work.

Monday, February 26, 2018 2:44 AM
  • The Investing page is not related to investing, the Planning page is not related to planning and the Taxes page is not related to taxes. Each of these pages lands on the same site and I don't see how to stop it -- http://www.msn.com/en-us/money

The problem with the currencies I mentioned earlier to day was resolved by either editing the correct rate per transaction or by inputting the transaction in a second time and deleting the previous transaction. It seems a few years ago I used to put a negative value for a category in order to switch it easily from an expense to an income or vis a versa. 

An undecipherable error I got was "The new amount of xx will produce an unassigned amount in the overall split transaction." This happened a few times but the transaction originally input was not split and when cleaning up the account I was not splitting the amount.

Overall, I don't yet see much change from Money 2000.  But I hope to be surprised. 

Monday, February 26, 2018 8:08 AM
  • The Investing page is not related to investing, the Planning page is not related to planning and the Taxes page is not related to taxes. Each of these pages lands on the same site and I don't see how to stop it -- http://www.msn.com/en-us/money

Stop clicking on those things, and also use the Windows Firewall to stop Money from trying to access online servers that are no longer there.
    https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/
    tells how.

It will speed the program start and exit.

The problem with the currencies I mentioned earlier to day was resolved by either editing the correct rate per transaction or by inputting the transaction in a second time and deleting the previous transaction. It seems a few years ago I used to put a negative value for a category in order to switch it easily from an expense to an income or vis a versa. 

Nice.

An undecipherable error I got was "The new amount of xx will produce an unassigned amount in the overall split transaction." This happened a few times but the transaction originally input was not split and when cleaning up the account I was not splitting the amount.

Loans and Paychecks I think produce split transactions.

Overall, I don't yet see much change from Money 2000.  But I hope to be surprised. 

Well, you have a free install file.  You have multiple-vintage backups. You have the ability to write to a USB flash drive that has more than 2 GB of free space. They fixed the Spinoff. There is a Remove Bills thing that fixed some severe speed problems for some people. It can import not only OFX version 1, it can also accept OFX version 2. Did I mention multiple-vintage backups? :-) You can change investment types, within limits. There are some other things that don't come to mind at the moment.

You also lost some things too, like a working help system. Money was transitioning to a system where it depended more on online servers rather than being fairly self-contained as 2000 was.

Monday, February 26, 2018 2:21 PM
  • Thanks for your guidance. 

I scaled back the home page with less unnecessary clutter.

Regarding the Investing, Planning, Taxes tabs, i followed the instruction to get Windows Defender to block access to the msn site. I then rebooted and checked the 3 tabs but the msn page seems still to be updating on each of them.  I don't know if i did something wrong... I thought the content on those tabs wouldn't be updating.

I have been wanting to do this upgrade for a long time now so knew there'd be benefits like those you mention.

Monday, February 26, 2018 11:44 PM
  • Something did not take. Here is a different description on the same topic. Maybe something will be a tad different.

Run "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" which you will
    find in Windows Administrative Tools,

Click on "Outbound Rules",
    select "New Rule" >

select "Program" >
     select "This Program" and
    browse for the path
      (which should be "c:\ProgramFiles
    (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe") >
      [ "%ProgramFiles\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe"
      [  %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe]
      !do not click enter key!
    %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe
    %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe

Action:Block
     select
    "Block this connection" > leave the defaults >

and then name your
    new rule something like "Microsoft Money block outbound".  Simply
    run "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" which you will find
    in Windows Administrative Tools, Click on "Outbound Rules", select
    "New Rule" > select "Program" > select "This Program" and browse
    for the path (which should be "c:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Microsoft
    Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe") > select "Block this
    connection" > leave the defaults > and then name your new rule
    something like "Microsoft Money block outbound".

Click Finish at the end. Expect red keep-out symbol in front of nane
    to show Action:Block.

Monday, February 26, 2018 11:59 PM
  • Perfect, that solved the issue. 

Many thanks for all your assistance. Your support has been very much appreciated by me. 

Tom

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:38 AM