none
MCTS 70-516 Exam Help RRS feed

• Question

• I recently started the journey to my very first Microsoft certification: MCTS 70-516, Accessing Data with Microsoft.NET Framework 4.  So I enrolled in a boot camp: Microsoft's 10265A, provided by NetCom Learning.  So I studied all of the materials provided and took practice tests through MeasureUp.com.  My first attempt was a failure.  I got a 676.  So I looked at the metrics provided on the scoring report, rescheduled my test, and buckled down.  Maybe I just needed to study more.  *shrug*  So I read the materials provided cover to cover and reviewed all of the labs, paid for and downloaded Kaplan's practice tests, and started reading tutorials and any supplemental material I could find on MSDN and Microsoft's blogs.  I was doing really well on the practice tests (consistently passing) and felt I had a pretty good understanding of the material.  I felt ready.  Moreso than when I took the test the first time.

So I did my retake today... and failed.  Again.  This time I got a 626, but all of my metrics on the score report are significantly higher than they were on the first try-- well above the mid-range.  Maybe I'm still stinging from my second failed attempt, but I think the weighted scoring is crap.  How can I improve so much in terms of the metrics, but score so much lower?  How can this be an accurate representation of progress or proficiency? Is this just luck of the draw?  How can I not be studying hard enough when I'm studying 4 hours every day for the past 3 weeks?  And studying Microsoft's course material and suggested supplemental materials.

What else can I do to help myself pass this test?  I'm at a complete loss on how I can study any better or any harder.  I'm clearly retaining the information, but it doesn't seem to be the right information.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry to hear you did not pass.  You are very close to passing.  The repoorts can be misleading if you get a lot of answers wrong in one section it can look like you have done better when you have not.  Sometimes I might get very high marks in a section that I only got a couple questions asked in, so it looks like I am strond in an area I am not.  It can be misleading doing test questions as it is easy to remember answers which gives you a false sense.

My suggestions are:

1.  Do not just review the labs but do them.  Use the functionality, the certifications expect you to have experience in the products, this will help with the questions.  Maybe for example create your own Entity Framework Model and actually code against it.  You will hit real world situations and it will reinforces your learning.

2. Try some clean questions (ones you have not seen before) maybe Measureup or Transcender (or are these the Kaplan practice tests you refer to?).  Use study mode, look at the explanations, see the MSDN links, do not just study that part of the MSDN but study the whole area.

3. Check you exam technique with some of the questions.  Do you miss some information?  I find it very easy to miss simple words like NOT in a question in the exam, which can change the answer quite a bit.  The exams are generous with time, do mark questions you are unsure of and reread them carefully.  If you do not know an answer dismiss answers that are wrong and then take an educated guess.

You are close so do not get discouraged.  Hope these suggestions help.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Friday, March 25, 2011 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to hear you did not pass.  You are very close to passing.  The repoorts can be misleading if you get a lot of answers wrong in one section it can look like you have done better when you have not.  Sometimes I might get very high marks in a section that I only got a couple questions asked in, so it looks like I am strond in an area I am not.  It can be misleading doing test questions as it is easy to remember answers which gives you a false sense.

My suggestions are:

1.  Do not just review the labs but do them.  Use the functionality, the certifications expect you to have experience in the products, this will help with the questions.  Maybe for example create your own Entity Framework Model and actually code against it.  You will hit real world situations and it will reinforces your learning.

2. Try some clean questions (ones you have not seen before) maybe Measureup or Transcender (or are these the Kaplan practice tests you refer to?).  Use study mode, look at the explanations, see the MSDN links, do not just study that part of the MSDN but study the whole area.

3. Check you exam technique with some of the questions.  Do you miss some information?  I find it very easy to miss simple words like NOT in a question in the exam, which can change the answer quite a bit.  The exams are generous with time, do mark questions you are unsure of and reread them carefully.  If you do not know an answer dismiss answers that are wrong and then take an educated guess.

You are close so do not get discouraged.  Hope these suggestions help.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Friday, March 25, 2011 7:56 AM
  • I just did the test with netcom and passed with 760, my study consisted of doing all the practice tests from measureup.com and writing notes about every question and related topics explained on the answer section of each question, i wrote as little as i could to summarize the facts; then I read the study guide a few times. then i did 2 practice test of 45 questions each and reviewed my wrong answers. then i visited all my notes and study guide one more time. the day of the exam i had good sleep and reviewed all my notes. I spent all the available time and i did not go back to review any of the questions. make sure you read carefully to avoid stupid mistakes like those you likely saw on the practice exams. I was lucky to see many familiar questions since some of my peers told me they had very little questions like our course material. Keep trying and good luck. :)
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:00 AM
  • I found mentioning of case studies in 70-516 exam. What's the difference to multi-choice questions ?  Isn't it  eventually just a paragraph of text you need to comprehend and select either one or more checkboxes or single radio-button. So effectively the same multi-choice.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Some exams have case studies, in these you are given requirements and then answer a few questions based on these requirements.  Once you finish a case study you cannot go back.  I do  not think these will be introduced to 70-516.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hi There,

I did the 70-516 two days ago. The 70-516 exam DOES include a case study.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:07 AM
  • I just took 70-516 yesterday June 27 and it included a "testlet" after the regular multiple choice section.  It was a complete surprise when it popped up on the screen as I had attempted the exam a couple of months ago and a testlet was not a part of the exam.  I found the format of the testlet made the exam more difficult because you cannot view the questions and the accompanying material at the same time.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:38 PM
  • yes,

I too  gave my exam last weeek., and to my surprise i Found  a testlet  with 11 questions of a case study. 

@anlebu

Can u please pass me the practice tests of measureup.com. I purchased the selftestexam.com which was utter waste.

Please help me .

Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:04 PM
  • I usually test my readiness with Transcender and/or Ucertify practice tests.  However, neither of these seem to include any practice case studies.  Ucertify even goes as far as to explicitely claim on their web site that this exam doesn't include any case studies.  Information that is clearly out of date.

Anyone know of a Test-prep kit that has been updated to take into account the case study?

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:21 PM
  • I also just failed the exam (scored 680) and was really supprised by the testlet and the overall difficulty of the questions. I had scored a 960 on the practice exam that came with the Microsoft Press training kit book the day before so i was quite confident i was ready. I WILL be more prepared next time.
    • Edited by Jeroen Vos Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:36 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I took the exam last week and had a score of 590 while having a 980 on the included practice exams.

I was surprised by the amount of questions (60 multiple choice AND 15 Case Studies) also the tone was quite difficult and unclear related to exams I took
    in the past (70-536,70-528,70-526,70-431)

Due to the bulk of the questions was about EF4 i started with J. Lerman EF 2nd edition and bought testkings practice exams.

So we will see how this works in a while.

For everyone that's have another shot success!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hi, I also passed this test 15 day ago. I had 940 points. I think @anlebu and @Ozzy Geoff are right, I also used theirs technique of studying. Lot of practice and make your own notes, don't relay on tests in preparation kits and other stuff. Very important thing, read exam questions carefully. Make good sleep night before exam :)

good luck next time

Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Well today I was successful, only the exam had changed a bit.

The first time I got 60 questions and after that 15 use case questions with the restriction; when answered and moved to the next you can’t go back. Now it was the other way around with the only restriction if all 15 where answered and you said you were done you couldn’t go back.

Well the score could be a bit better (780) but it’s a pass :-)

The measure up I bought was for me the best practice tool the Testking version helps but the program it’s self is a bit buggy.

• Edited by Rowix Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:04 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:03 AM