ability to share a printer RRS feed

• Question

•  

How about the ability to share a printer among all clients.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:28 PM

Answers

• If you install a printer on WHS, you can share it. (It's automatically configred to share, as a matter of fact.) That can be a locally connected printer, or it can be a network printer. You won't be able to share anything other than the printer fuinctionality of a multi-function device, though.

However, WHS isn't really designed as a print server, and if drivers for a printer aren't built into WHS, then you'll need to use Remote Desktop to install them.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 4:25 AM

All replies

• If you install a printer on WHS, you can share it. (It's automatically configred to share, as a matter of fact.) That can be a locally connected printer, or it can be a network printer. You won't be able to share anything other than the printer fuinctionality of a multi-function device, though.

However, WHS isn't really designed as a print server, and if drivers for a printer aren't built into WHS, then you'll need to use Remote Desktop to install them.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 4:25 AM
  •  

Hi,

I dont know if this helps but..

Over the weekend I built a WHS system.

This included moving the Epson Photostylus onto the WHS system, and installing the drivers (XP) which I downloaded from Epson.

I am able to print text stuff (Word and email) from all the PCs that i have tried so far, but not tried to use the Epsons propiety photograph printing options, I must do that.

One issue though I have noted is that soem times the flash to bang time of printing is very slow, and this seems to relates to the re-balancing of the hard drives.

Adrian

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:33 AM
  • How do I dial into the Windows Home Server to install the drivers for the printer?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I don't see the value of this in the home.  Its much easier to just use a network enabled printer.  In my home, I have an HP OfficeJet with 802.11g connectivity.  No matter how you slice or dice it, you have these huge/ugly printer software suites.  Its probably not a good idea to clutter WHS with that.  Is there some other benefit to WHS based printer sharing that I'm missing?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:27 PM
  • John,

No value for me, I don't fancy going into the garage every time I want to retrieve a printed document!

All my printers are now networked, so anyone can use them from anywhere.

Colin

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I'm sharing my HP Deskjet 3930 on WHS.  The installer program for it will not allow you to run the setup program on Windows Server 2003, says it is not supported.  However if you just "add hardware" and point the wizard to the temp directory created by the installer, and it will grab the drivers and install correctly.  I don't need or want all those extra programs installed, on WHS or on my computer.  They are not necessary.  I don't need to know when I *need* to order new ink, or what the ink level is.  I personally like having everything centralized.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:12 AM
  •  John Cz wrote:

I don't see the value of this in the home.  Its much easier to just use a network enabled printer.  In my home, I have an HP OfficeJet with 802.11g connectivity.  No matter how you slice or dice it, you have these huge/ugly printer software suites.  Its probably not a good idea to clutter WHS with that.  Is there some other benefit to WHS based printer sharing that I'm missing?

Yes, you are missing something... how other people work.   

I have my whs in my workspace.  Here I have several computers connected, but not always on.  WHS is always on, so with the printers hooked up, I can print from any room in the house.  I'm also moving to having only a notebook, so having to disconnect all those wires when I want to work in the bedroom or on the porch would be a hassle.  While working in another space, I'd not have access to print anyway or I would have to keep on another computer to use only as a print server (I'd rather avoid that). 

I have three printers inkject for color, laser for most printing, and a cd printer.  The only thing I loaded was the drivers for each, no other software.  WHS seems happy with this setup, and I'm thrilled whs is so happy.  I enjoy not having to worry if a wire is hooked up or if a computer is on so I can print... I can print anytime/anywhere I want, no worries.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:12 PM
  •  

You get the same benefit if you have printer(s) that already have wifi or ethernet capabilities built-in.  You seem fairly tech savvy and knew where to find and limit the install to just the printer driver.  I'm just wondering from a consumer product standpoint, if it makes sense to complicate WHS with print driver installation.  If Microsoft can make it easy then sure, I can see it having some value.  But how typical will it be for consumers to locate their printers where WHS is setup?  My WHS is in our family room entertainment cabinet because thats where the cable modem & wireless router is tucked away.  I don't want printers in the family room.  Sure others, have WHS located in the garage, home office and other spots...does that mean thats the best place to locate their printers.  You can get a wireless 802.11g adapter for most printers these days and have the freedom to locate the printer where you want.  Just my $.02.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:42 PM