off topic - no disk in drive message using XP RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am using XP Home and if I insert a disc in CD not DVD, the it reads no disk.  Just playing a simple disc, same thing and trying to burn, same thing.  I have tried some stupid paid for solutions, but no help.  I don't use this very often, but it's always worked.  Any cures out there?  Thanks, Lisa
    Friday, July 25, 2008 4:22 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

However, I suspect that your drive may have gone bad. If you have two drives - a CD and a DVD drive, you can simply use the DVD drive for reading CDs. If the DVD drive also burns DVDs, you can also burn CDs in that drive.

I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your PC for help in diagnosing the problem.

One thing you can try on your own is to go to Control Panel/System/Device manager and remove the CD drive from the system devices list. Reboot the PC and see if the drive is detected and the drivers load. If not, the drive has died.

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:02 PM
  • I have an older gateway PC running windoes XP and a newer laptop running Vista premium. I too am having a problem with DVD/CD drives that started after One care was installed?

Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:55 AM