sailorbill RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit p'd off as I just bought a new Dell laptop with Vista but guess what it turns up with a 64 bit system! first of all my printer wouldnt work so buy new one then go to France and buy a  Orange PAYG broadband dongle this didnt work either but works OK on everybody els's laptop so assume it must be to do with this microsoft digital signing that is required with 64 bit system.
    Does anybody know how to disable this from my system??
    I really cannot see why microsoft should make our life so difficult. I have Windows 7 at home and now they have taken away our nice windows mail which we had with Vista.
    Please help me somebody.
    Sailorbill
    Friday, December 4, 2009 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hello sailorbill,

The personal computer industry is currently in the midst of the transition from 32-bit computing to 64-bit computing.  It has done this before, going from 8-bit to 16-bit, and then from 16-bit to 32-bit.

You cannot "disable" 64-bit from your system.  It is incumbent upon compute purchasers to understand whether the system they order from vendors is going to come in a 32-bit or 64-bit version and to make sure that the shipping version meets their requirements, for both hardware and software.

Please contact Dell customer support to see if they can ship you a 32-bit edition of the Operating System that was preinstalled on your computer.  If they can, back up and offload your data from the computer, then follow Dell's instructions on how to use the Dell OS reinstallation disc to do a clean installation of Windows onto your computer.

Regarding Windows Mail, it has been retired from service in favor of a much more powerful and robust free email client called Windows Live Mail.  You can download it here:  http://download.live.com/wlmail
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hello sailorbill,

The personal computer industry is currently in the midst of the transition from 32-bit computing to 64-bit computing.  It has done this before, going from 8-bit to 16-bit, and then from 16-bit to 32-bit.

You cannot "disable" 64-bit from your system.  It is incumbent upon compute purchasers to understand whether the system they order from vendors is going to come in a 32-bit or 64-bit version and to make sure that the shipping version meets their requirements, for both hardware and software.

Please contact Dell customer support to see if they can ship you a 32-bit edition of the Operating System that was preinstalled on your computer.  If they can, back up and offload your data from the computer, then follow Dell's instructions on how to use the Dell OS reinstallation disc to do a clean installation of Windows onto your computer.

Regarding Windows Mail, it has been retired from service in favor of a much more powerful and robust free email client called Windows Live Mail.  You can download it here:  http://download.live.com/wlmail
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Dan
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply and suggestions to my plight.
    I will take your advise and contact Dell because I would like to change my laptop back to 32 bit system as I dont see any benifit from the 64 bit for my type of computer useage.
    Regarding the Windows Live Mail, I'm getting used to it already, you know what us users are like we get in our comfort zone and kick and struggle against change.
    We could still do with better access to the contacts list and Live Mail could be made a bit more pretty please!! but it works.
    One more question if you would be so kind please.  My laptop is an almost new Dell with Vista 64 bit installed, can I install Vista Premium 32 bit on to a 64 bit processor??? if so this would solve my digital signing problems when travelling in France or even upgrade to Windows 7 32 bit which would be even better, I am concerned about being able to install 32 bit systen with a 64 bit processor.
    Many thanks have a nice weekend, no sailing here for Sailorbill this w/e
    Friday, December 4, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hello sailorbill,

Being pretty familiar with the Dell product line, I can tell you that ALL current and recent consumer-level Dell laptops and desktops can run the 32-bit versions of both Vista and Win7.  64-bit processors have been around and installed into computers for years now---the 64-bit Windows operating system has also been around for a while (there are 64-bit editions of XP, Vista, and 7); 64-bit hardware support and software applications are late to the party :-)

Dell's habit with Vista and so far with Windows 7 seems to be that if the particular computer they are selling comes standard with 3 GB or less of RAM, the computer will most likely have a 32-bit version of Windows.  If 4GB or more of RAM, it's likely to come with a 64-bit version of Windows.  If I had to guess why they did it this way, I would say that their attorneys recommended this beause (as you may know) 32-bit versions of Windows cannot utilize more than (depending upon the exact hardware involved) either 3.5 or 4GB of RAM, and the attorneys wanted to avoid lawsuits from consumer advocacy groups claiming that Dell sold computers with a quantity of RAM in excess of the amount supportable by the default installed operating systems.

Since 64-bit computing is at the beginning of its life, naturally there will be a slightly bumpy transition period during which a lot of these technical issues, like the availablity of 64-bit drivers for existing and older hardware (like the wireless dongle that you used when visiting France), get worked out.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Dan
    Thank you once again for your prompt reply, you have answered all my questions completely, I intend upgrading to Windows 7 so will go for the 32 bit system which will make life easier when travelling.
    Thanks and Best regards Sailorbill
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 11:10 AM