Norton Internet Security 2009 Compatibility RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here's a tip if anyone is having the problem I had for over a month:  I found that when I upgraded from Norton Internet Security 2008 to NIS 2009 on three client computers (two Win XP SP3 and one Vista SP1), WHS backups failed at least 80% of the time on two of the computers (one XP and one Vista). 

Errors on the Vista client usually involved HRESULT: 0x80070001; on the XP client, usually 0x80070005.  I did a lot of reseach, ensured that the NIS 2009 firewall was friendly to WHS, ran time-consuming chkdsk /f /r, and so forth, without remedy.

I uninstalled NIS 2009 and reinstalled NIS 2008:  No more backup problems.  (It's too bad, because NIS 2009 is a much better program than the 2008 version.)

I haven't tried Norton 360 before, but if there is similar code in the latest version as NIS 2009, that might cause a compatibilty problem as well.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• I know this knowledge won't help you much, but I recently upgraded from NIS 2008 to NIS 2009 on 3 Vista PCs and have had no WHS backup problems. In fact, backups seem to run faster.
    Maybe, unless you're running other Norton products such as Ghost or SystemWorks, you ought to try the Norton Removal Tool, which nukes all vestiges of anything Norton.  Reboot & run NRT again. After rebooting a 2nd time, try installing NIS 2009 again.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:53 PM
  • That's good feedback, Bobsie -- thanks -- it gives me hope and opportunity for an eventual positive outcome.  I am using other Symantec programs: in particular, Norton Ghost 14.  That may be a complication, although on the one XP that NIS 2009 works okay with WHS backup, I've got Ghost (and Systemworks) installed there.  It will be interesting to see if there are many others who have a problem with NIS 2009 with WHS.  Maybe it's just my problem.

I've used NRT several times in the past, but it's pretty much a last resort for me because of the nuking of all that is Symantec.  I might try it when I'm ready to engage NIS 2009 again as I get tired of NIS 2008's Halloween color theme.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Hi,
    Norton Ghost is known for causing VSS problems - after uninstalling, because it leaves some dead references in the registry.
    Please check the event log of your client for more detailed errors around the backup.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Hoping to give you even more hope, I'll tell you that I also have Ghost 14 & SystemWorks running, along with NIS2009, and they all work fine with WHS.
    One nice thing when you've got Ghost...you can get as extreme as you want with your troubleshooting, including NRT, and, in case of total muckup, can always fall back to your latest Ghost backup.
    However, what Olaf says about VSS is right. You might have to look through the threads here for people having trouble with WHS backup due to VSS issues caused by Ghost/Mozy/etc. & apply the mentioned fixes, even if you're not having WHS backup problems.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:52 PM
  • I to have some issues with Ghost 14 on my PC and NIS2009.
    Previously I had 360 and Ghost 14 without any problems.
    Then I went and upgraded my expired version of 360 to NIS2009.
       Had as issue with 360 not wanting to uninstall so used NRT to nuke all Norton stuff.
       Installed NIS2009 and noticed that WHS backups were failing.
       Strangely I installed Ghost 14 back on the PC (keen in mind I haven't configured it yet) and WHS backup worked.... once.
    Now I consistently get failed backups and cant uninstall Ghost 14 unless I use NRT of course.

Posted this stuff on Symantec's forums.., they were able to duplicate the issue and are "working" on resolving it. Who knows when it will be fixed.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Thanks to the suggestion of Bruce Hobson https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=483160, the simple step of removing the Symantec Software VSS Provider from the Windows registry on both XP and Vista machines, leaving only the MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0, actually fixed the problem for me.  Norton Ghost 14 appears to do just fine with only the MS VSS provider.  I'm using NIS 2009 and successfully backed up all my drives with Norton Ghost 14 scheduled  backup jobs, and WHS also backs up the same drives overnight with no errors -- all with no Symantec Software VSS Provider.  (I wonder why it's needed at all.)  The registry subkey below is what I exported for backup then removed if anyone else wants to try it this solution.  (I've found no need to put it back in the registry after success for 2 weeks.)    As Dimitri Z said, Symantec said in the Norton Community Forum that they duplicated the problem but haven't fixed it http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&message.id=14150#M14150.  I hope this work-around helps others who have been having this conflict.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\{262b716e-bb23-41b5-aaef-e2c15e767167}]
    @="Symantec Software VSS Provider"
    "Type"=dword:00000002
    "Version"="1.0"
    "VersionId"="{312524e0-c869-46ce-849b-7d99a24257cd}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\{262b716e-bb23-41b5-aaef-e2c15e767167}\CLSID]
    @="{790f2886-9889-4c99-8ef5-531add05d044}"

Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Deleting the Symantec Software VSS Provider works for Ghost 15 also.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:21 PM