Mid life re-entry into IT... RRS feed

• Question

• I am 47 yo and looking to jump back into the IT/networking world. My career started out in IT. I've worked as a Jr programmer, help desk analyst and network admin. I was an IT guy for about 14 years, from '88 until about '02. I was certified as MCP under NT server and Win 95.

I then opened up a small food retail business which I ran for the last 10 years or so and completely put IT out of mind. With my retail experience behind me, I am trying to get back into IT and don't really know where to start, relative to training or certification... Or what employers would look for in a person of my age and background. 

Like I said, my cert and experience (NT and 95) are useless at this point. However, I did just finish up my masters degree in computer information systems. This allowed me to take graduate level courses in subjects such as Database security, Networks & systems analysis - all using the latest terminology and software. I also keep up to date with the latest trends and news via trade pubs etc. So im not a newbie type looking for total career change. But at the same time, im in a situation that is similar - looking for advice snd how to make right choices relative to training.

Well, any advice would help. Thanks.

• Edited by tcpipuck Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:31 PM typos
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi there, welcome back! :)

If I were in your position, I would start off with studying for a Windows 7 or/and Windows 8 certification (70-680 and 70-687).

After that I would start looking at Windows Server 2012 (starting from 70-410).

A really big advice (if you are running Windows 8) is to activate Hyper-V and set up a lab Environment with Windows 7 and Windows 8 clients.

An alternative to Hyper-V is Virtualbox (which is free).

I'd say, since you have previous experience, that the best thing to do is to get updated on the new software that it is out there. And once again, set up your own virtual Environment, it will be a huge help in terms of Learning.

Good Luck!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi there, welcome back! :)

If I were in your position, I would start off with studying for a Windows 7 or/and Windows 8 certification (70-680 and 70-687).

After that I would start looking at Windows Server 2012 (starting from 70-410).

A really big advice (if you are running Windows 8) is to activate Hyper-V and set up a lab Environment with Windows 7 and Windows 8 clients.

An alternative to Hyper-V is Virtualbox (which is free).

I'd say, since you have previous experience, that the best thing to do is to get updated on the new software that it is out there. And once again, set up your own virtual Environment, it will be a huge help in terms of Learning.

Good Luck!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Hi Tcpipuck,

Welcome back to IT. I have a question for you.

Considering your 10 years of experience as a business owner, in what capacity do you intend to re-enter IT? Is it as an employee working for someone else, or as a business owner offering IT services?

I look forward to hearing from you.

James

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Thanks for the advice... I had not considered training on a client. My idea was to go right to server. But maybe it's not a bad idea.... I do have Virtual Box already installed. So I think I'll use that to set up some instances. 

Take care.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hi James

The plan was to (hopefully) acquire work with an employer, and not as an independent contractor. I spent the past 10-12 years working for myself - bookkeeping, regulations, etc. I am just looking forward to working for someone else and doing my job, getting a paycheck, save a little, and not have to worry about all the day to obstacles of managing a business.

That's the plan... But I do have an independent spirit - so who knows. If the job market is tough for me (and it may be given my unique background), I could see starting up a small IT consulting gig. But it would not be my first choice.

Thanks for your reply...Cheers!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:45 PM