WHS backup failure - "problem accessing file on server..." RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving the following error when trying a backup "The backup failed because of a problem accessing a file on Windows Home Server.  The event log of the server contains more details".

The error occurs every time at 8% on scheduled and manual backups.  I previously completed many succesful backups without problems. 

One of the troubleshooting errors pointed at MS OneCare, so I uninstalled it, reinstalled the connector software, and still got the same error.  The backup errors began approximately the same time I began using OneCare, so it may still be related.

I see an error message on the eventviewer but it didn't help me resolve it.  I have pasted the bulk of the error message below.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 770
    Date:  3/8/2010
    Time:  9:52:12 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: GWP4
    Description:
    Backup set 297 on HPSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.WriteWithReconnect(Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryWriterEx.Write(Int64 value)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.SendClusterHash(Int64 clusterIndex, Byte[] hash)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Also, I had installed and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware around the time the errors occured.  It could also be possible that it changed some configuration setting, but the error message appears to point at a corrupt file on teh server.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Also, I had installed and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware around the time the errors occured.  It could also be possible that it changed some configuration setting, but the error message appears to point at a corrupt file on teh server.
    Do you have other clients?  If so, do they successfully backup?
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:49 AM
  • I have 2 clients and neither work any longer.  I have kept both pretty similarly configured, including Malwarebytes, Onecare, etc.  I get the same error from both clients.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Is there a minimum requirement for free space on drives being backed up?  My primary drive is 150GB with only 22GB free.  One of the possible trouble-shooting messages indicate that free space might be an issue but the error message seems to point elsewhere.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Do they all have the same network card in them?  RealTek drivers have proven to be problematic.   Try rolling back the driver on the clients or installing drivers built in February 2010.

Also you shouldn't run any anit-malware software on Windows Home Server unless it is certified to operate on Windows Home Server correctly.
    --
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:52 AM
  • Thanks.  The anti-malware software is just on the clients and not on the WHS.  I will check the network cards tonight.  Thanks again.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BrianOlson25 Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:36 PM
  • It's not the NIC - neither is RealTek.  Also, the backups on one of the clients is working again.  I have no idea why.  The backup on my primary computer is still not working.  I have done a Backup Repair which completed successfully, but the backup still fails with the same error.  I tried to delete old backups and received the same error.

I am running a headless WHS as part of a MediaCenter, so I am not sure how to run chkdisk on the server drives and don't know how to access the error logs on the server.

Any more suggestions?  I'm stuck.  Thanks.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:40 AM
  • It's not the NIC - neither is RealTek.  Also, the backups on one of the clients is working again.  I have no idea why.  The backup on my primary computer is still not working.  I have done a Backup Repair which completed successfully, but the backup still fails with the same error.  I tried to delete old backups and received the same error.

I am running a headless WHS as part of a MediaCenter, so I am not sure how to run chkdisk on the server drives and don't know how to access the error logs on the server.

Any more suggestions?  I'm stuck.  Thanks.
    In order to run chkdsk, you need to logon to the server desktop.  You can use an application called Remote Desktop Application for that (it's probably under Accessories on your client).  First, type in the name of the server.  Once the logon screen of the server shows up, type Administrator for the user name and your server password for the password.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:04 AM
  • I am running a headless WHS as part of a MediaCenter,
    Are you running WHS in a VM?
    --
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:41 AM
  • I logged on with remote access and ran chkdsk as suggested and a manual backup completed!! 

Thanks a million for all your help - I'll update this again if tonight's automated backup fails or I run into any other problems.

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:37 PM