Moving Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• With the removal of drive extender in the upcoming beta for vail, I am looking at my storage options.  Does anyone know if it is possible to move the shared folders to say a raid 5 array that is not part of the system disk?  This way I could have my system on one disk, and file storage on a raid array, therefore protecting my OS from an array failure. 
    D.W.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 2:18 PM

All replies

• I will be playing with a Drobopro in the days / weeks to come to see how it works with WHS and potentially Veil
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:35 PM
  • No, you cannot move the default shared folders.  You can create new shares from inside of windows on your whs box that resides on a raid array outside of the shared storage and move your data to that...
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Would I be able to access those folders from the whs console, or from the remote website?
    D.W.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Currently, console no.  I cannot say as to the remote site as I have shut my vail testing down until something new comes out and didnt use the remote site.  

Now going forward with DE gone, it is a good assumption that you will be able to for both.

Monday, January 17, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I've shut down my testing too.  I'm trying to get prepared for the next beta.  I suppose it would be safe to have the system on the raid 5 array as long as I have a drive to back up the whole works.  That just adds more steps to the recovery process.  I'm hoping they throw in a few tricks to help with the loss of drive extender.  I build my own, so I won't be able to rely on oem's.  If they somehow set up shared folders like libraries, one would be able to choose the default save location.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

D.W.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 11:04 PM