eLearning Offline Viewer RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm running into an issue with eLearning Offline Viewer on Vista...

It appears to me that the eLearning Offline Viewer is not compatible with Vista. I have downloaded the viewer to four different machines - all of which are XP machines - and everything works just fine.

On a Vista machine, I download the install package. I run the install package and it completes. The files install to the proper directory just fine. I restart the machine. I log into the eLearning site. I attempt to download the courses in My Learning. I then get an error message telling me I have to install the Offline Viewer first before I can download any course content.

This error ONLY occurs when I download it to my Vista machine.

Has anyone else seen this...?

A. M. Robinson
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi
    I have exactly the same issue with Vista x32 (SP1) new build (I have an x64 non SP1 that has been working fine for months and never had this issue??).
    I've managed to 'workaround' this (sort of) by:
    Selecting my course content and clicking 'Download Selected', waiting for it to tell me I need to install the offline viewer, clicking the OK for the information, clicking 'download' , 'run' once downloaded, then 'repair' in my case as it was already installed .. once install completes click the 'Download Selected' again and it all seems to work. Do not navigate from the page or open a new browser window regarding the elearning site whilst you install and it seems to be OK for me at least - not sure if this helps and its clearly 'wrong' but at least i can get my content on Vista :)

Hope this helps

BT
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I am having the same problem with XP Service Pack 3, I tried reinstalling, rebooting, and it still says I do not have offline player installed.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 1:44 PM
  • ansonee said:

I'm running into an issue with eLearning Offline Viewer on Vista...

It appears to me that the eLearning Offline Viewer is not compatible with Vista. I have downloaded the viewer to four different machines - all of which are XP machines - and everything works just fine.

On a Vista machine, I download the install package. I run the install package and it completes. The files install to the proper directory just fine. I restart the machine. I log into the eLearning site. I attempt to download the courses in My Learning. I then get an error message telling me I have to install the Offline Viewer first before I can download any course content.

This error ONLY occurs when I download it to my Vista machine.

Has anyone else seen this...?

A. M. Robinson

Hi There-

My team does not support the e-learning offline player but please email me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I will put you in touch with the team that supports the offline viewer.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, September 1, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Barren said:

Hi
    I have exactly the same issue with Vista x32 (SP1) new build (I have an x64 non SP1 that has been working fine for months and never had this issue??).
    I've managed to 'workaround' this (sort of) by:
    Selecting my course content and clicking 'Download Selected', waiting for it to tell me I need to install the offline viewer, clicking the OK for the information, clicking 'download' , 'run' once downloaded, then 'repair' in my case as it was already installed .. once install completes click the 'Download Selected' again and it all seems to work. Do not navigate from the page or open a new browser window regarding the elearning site whilst you install and it seems to be OK for me at least - not sure if this helps and its clearly 'wrong' but at least i can get my content on Vista :)

Hope this helps

BT

Hi There-

My team does not support the e-learning offline player but please email me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I will put you in touch with the team that supports the offline viewer.

Thanks-
    Alicia
  • jherschel said:

I am having the same problem with XP Service Pack 3, I tried reinstalling, rebooting, and it still says I do not have offline player installed.

Hi There-

Thanks-
    Alicia
  • I found the problem and the problem - IMHO - is with the installer package. I didn't have the most recent Flash player installed. Once I got that installed, everything worked fine.

The thing that blows is that when you install the offline viewer and you DON'T have that most recent component, the installer package doesn't tell you.

It might be nice if it would let you know your machine doesn't have the required prerequisites...
    A. M. Robinson
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:40 AM