Support Blew it big time: email tech support reconmendation wreaked havoc on my computer. RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I have a new computer with a motherboard that supports eSATA. One care would not recognize the NTFS formatted 1 TB hard drive I have connected via an eSATA cable. The drive performs flawlessly with VISTA otherwise. I checked this forum first and could not find any information that pertained to my issue so I contacted email support to see if I can get this resolved. Within the allotted 24 hours I get a response to download a program...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/f/74f8bf9b-a19e-4f14-b3e7-0a3fe389224d/CaclsDeleteDB.exe

and then follow a long series of procedures that came from the support email, all of which I did.

Then all hell broke loose. Unrecognized programs, programs essentially disappearing including, ironically, One Care. I get error message after error messages on boot up. My DVD disk drive doesn't work, all the icons disappeared from my desktop... the list goes on and on. It worked like a virus. If you needed to screw somebody over with One Care running on their computer use some social engineering to get them to install this baby.

So I get this email from support this morning that says wait-that email was meant for another customer please disregard the previous email. Microsoft One care by design does not support eSATA. Get an external hard drive that hooks up via USB. This message came too late. I can't begin to tell how much time I have spent getting this new machine up to speed to accommodate my workflow. What a disaster. I feel compelled to share with you the message from support. 

"I would like to apologize for the previous email which was intended for a different customer. Please disregard the email and let's continue our troubleshooting. I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this has caused." and "please understand that Windows Live OneCare cannot select ESATA connected external hard drive as the backup device. It is by design. I suggest switching back to the USB cable to continue to work for the backup. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

I know stuff happens. I'm a National Park Service Park Ranger in Olympic National Park in Washington state and help Microsoft employees from the Seattle area on a daily basis to enjoy their time off. I hope I can get some credit for some telephone support. It is at that point I will
    pesonally accept the apology.

Meanwhile a simple but important message
    Microsoft One Care does not support eSATA. I have not seen that anywhere on this forum.

Rain Forest Guru
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• I'm sorry to read that you encountered the problems that you did.
    I don't know what other instructions you received, but the database reset tool would not have caused any of the problems you've described.
    I agree that there should be clearer information regarding eSATA. However, it is a subject that has been discussed many times within the forums and it is also mentioned in the Help Text for OneCare.
    I also can't speak for Microsoft, since I am just a fellow customer, but if you are a sbscriber, phone support is already free, albeit hard to get through to sometimes.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:30 PM