Windows One Care Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to move 3 backup files from one external backup drive to another.  (Defective drive being returned to manufacturer.)  I have attempted to navigate to the security tab to change the settings.  However, when I tried changing the view setting in control panel, the drive that holds the files tells me "access is denied". 

Further reading tells me that is because the access is set in the parent folder -- which I assume to be the original computer.  Either way, the original computer whose backup data I am trying to access is also defective and in for service, and I can't get at it to make the change.

I have 15 days to remove my files from the defective drive to the replacement drive and can't wait for the repaired computer to come back.  I am also not confident this is the reason, as the backup of the computer I'm using to move the files is also on that backup drive, and it won't let me change it either.

Really could use your help.

Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:15 PM

Answers

• If the steps for taking ownership of the backup folder structure are not working for you, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Note that moving these files will make them available for restore, but you will need to reconfigure backup on all PCs in your subscription that were using this destination location since the replacement drive will be a new device to OneCare.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 6:44 PM