Windows Server 2008 + Raid6 RRS feed

• Question

• G'day guys,

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. I am trying to compare Raid6 via Linux (software) and via Windows (using a hardware raid controller).

For arguments sake lets say I have a PC and I'd like to setup either a 5 drive Raid6 setup or a 6 drive Raid6 setup (so 3tb or 4tb of usable space). I would have to obtain a raid controller capable of raid6 as at a software level, Windows Server 2008 is not... Correct?

From what I can gather, I can get a card with the number of required slots in it (so probably 8) or a card which supports port multiplying and get an external rack/case to keep my drives in.

Now, if I've managed all of this fine how hard is it for one to configure the harddrives for raid6 use on a windows 2008 server?

Total hardware costs excluding drives... what would I be looking at? Trying to decide if a NAS may be a cheaper alternative.

Hope you can help.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:00 PM

Answers

• This is the Windows Hone Server forum. You might want to ask your question in a forum for the Windows Server family; I believe Technet has such a forum .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:16 PM